Being the Taken Gal in a Group of Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The college culture can be a little different when you’re in a long-term relationship. Sometimes, your closest gals don’t understand why you would want to be “tied down” at such a prime time in your life, but in reality, you can’t imagine the daily struggles that they deal with. Here are some ways your college life differs from your BFF’s when you’re in a relationship.

1. Youre not familiar with the hook-up culture.

Being in a relationship while your friends are single means listening to a lot of hook-up stories. Whether it was a huge regret or something that they want to continue, you can’t quite understand what your friend is going through since you’ve had the same guy for years. 

2. You wear sweats to movie nights.

Some of the best nights with your man are spent relaxing at home with a tray of pizza. It makes you question your life choices a bit when your friends are “relaxing” with their dates while wearing skinny jeans and a cute tank, while your ideal night in outfit requires your baggy sweatpants complete with fuzzy socks.

3. They dont understand your future plans.

When you talk about your aspirations post-graduation, they usually involve moving somewhere with your guy. Sometimes, your girlfriends take this as you being too concerned about your relationship, which is not the case at all.

4. You dont know how to tell someone that youre taken.

We’ve all been there. You’re at a party with your friends and a guy comes up and starts talking to you. Then comes the dreaded “can I have your number?” How do you tell someone you’re taken without sounding like a total b*tch?!

5. You dont remember first date jitters.

You know you’ve been taken for a while when you can’t remember what your friends are going through while getting ready for a first date. It’s hard for you to understand why anyone would be nervous to go to dinner with someone when you’re used to FaceTiming with your sixth grade retainer in your mouth.

6. Youre not concerned with what guys like your pictures.

Unless he’s a total creep, you’re not concerned with which guys are interested in the last selfie you posted on Insta. Actually, you think it’s pretty cute when your friends are scrolling through their “likers” every hour on the hour.

7. You dont know what its like to be checked out.

When you’re in a long-term relationship, it’s hard to imagine any guy being interested in you. This is especially true when everyone knows you’re taken. Don’t you love being ignored while every guy fondles over your single friends?

8. Youre thankful for your man.

After hearing last night’s horror story about your BFF’s date asking the waitress for her number, you’re glad you have a good guy by your side. Although you can’t flirt the night away at the party with your girls, you’re glad to have someone to call after the night has ended.

No matter what your relationship status is one thing remains true: you’re always going to need your girls. Being taken doesn’t mean that you can’t be the life of the party. To all my taken girls: don’t miss out on belting out some Beyoncé with your girls just because you ain’t no single lady!

Emily is a Scranton native trying to make a name for herself. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Finance. When she's not goofing off with her friends or spending time with her family, there is a very big chance that she's binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Emily has a love-hate relationship with Moe's Southwest Grill and would probably eat chips and queso for every meal if it didn't mean that she'd have to work out afterwards. She loves being a part of Her Campus Scranton and can't wait to see what her future holds!
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!