8 Perfect Books for that Read-a-Book Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Do you remember a time when you were able to curl up and read a good book simply because you wanted to? Sometimes it seems like we get wrapped up in the stress of writing papers and reading chapters of textbooks that we forget what it is like to truly enjoy reading. September 6th is officially ‘Read a Book Day’.  Here’s a list of classics and modern books that would be just perfect for celebrating this unconventional holiday.

1. The Great GatsbyF. Scott Fitzgerald tells one of the best love stories of all time in just 180 pages. Jay Gatsby’s love for Daisy is one that inspires us all to never give up on our hopes that someday that will come to us. Will it be a happily ever after? You will have to find out for yourself.

2. The Catcher in the RyeJ.D. Salinger originally published this as a novel for adults but it quickly found its fame in the adolescents. Holden Caulfield teaches us that we have to grow up, whether we like it or not.

3. I am MalalaIs there anyone in the world more courageous than this woman? In her autobiography, the girl who stood up to the Taliban recounts her life since her bold move to advocate for education. Malala reminds us all how powerful one person’s voice can be when trying to spark change.

4. The Last LectureWritten by Randy Pausch and Jeffrey Zaslow, The Last Lecture is inspired by Paush’s final speech after finding out he had pancreatic cancer. He teaches the reader to have fun because life is short and should be lived to its fullest. 

5. Gone GirlGillian Flynn’s thriller teaches us that everything is not always what it seems. Gone Girl will have you turning the pages faster than you ever have before while trying to solve a creepy mystery.

6. Let’s All Be BraveIn this book, Annie F. Downs teaches us that we can be brave in any stage of life.  She preaches that courage lives in each one of us and that we need to use it!!

7. Paper TownsWho doesn’t love a good John Green book? This New York Times best seller chronicles the journey of Quentin to find Margo. If you think you shouldn’t read it because you’ve seen the movie, you’re wrong. The book has a few deviances from the movie, which allows you to enjoy the story all over again.

8. A Separate PeaceJohn Knowles explores a variety of themes in this novel. Gene, the protagonist, recounts going to a prep school and his unlikely friendship with Phineas, the star athlete at school. This work teaches us that friendship can be unconventional and that jealousy lies within the best.

Reading for enjoyment seems like a dying habit among most young adults in today’s society. National Read a Book Day aims to bring out the inner child in all of us. Whether you enjoy a good murder mystery or maybe a biography, September 6th is the perfect day to curl up with a good book and get lost. Happy reading, collegiates!

Emily is a Scranton native trying to make a name for herself. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Finance. When she's not goofing off with her friends or spending time with her family, there is a very big chance that she's binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Emily has a love-hate relationship with Moe's Southwest Grill and would probably eat chips and queso for every meal if it didn't mean that she'd have to work out afterwards. She loves being a part of Her Campus Scranton and can't wait to see what her future holds!
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_