5 Feel-Good News Stories That Will Make Your Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The stress of finals week is quickly approaching, and if you’ve been keeping an eye on the news stories being plastered across the televisions in Denaples or in the newspapers, you’ll know that plenty of stressful, tense situations occur daily. With all of this stress and negativity, it’s important to remember that good things are happening just as much as bad things, we just don’t get to hear about them as often. That being said, I’ve scoped out the top five feel-good news stories from the last few weeks to make your day a little brighter.   

1. High School Sweethearts Wed after 64 Years

Joyce Kevorkian and Jim Bowman, both 81 years old, tied the knot early last month after being apart for 64 years. The couple went to their senior prom together but went their separate ways after graduation. Jim was planning a high school reunion when he contacted Joyce last year and they didn’t stop talking after that point. Jim drove to Joyce’s retirement home in December to see her for the first time since 1953. Following that encounter, Jim asked Joyce to marry him, and they wasted no time in getting the event together. The wedding was on April 1, and the theme was “two old fools in love.” If this isn’t couple goals, I don’t know what is.

2. 11-Year Old Gives His First Live Weather Report

Courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Ryland Mishura gave a weather report for the Weather Channel to fulfill his dream of being a meteorologist. The eleven-year old delivered the forecast like a pro and had more confidence than anyone could ever imagine after being briefed for only five minutes prior to being live. Check out the video of his forecast below and see for yourself!

3. Cocker Spaniel Trained to Find Missing Cats

Molly is a two-year old Cocker Spaniel that works for Pet Detectives in Guildford, England. After being rescued by film director Colin Butcher, Molly trained with medical detection dogs until she strayed from that path and specialized in finding missing cats. All she needs is a little scent from the house the cat belongs to and she’s off!

4. All Pink Starbursts

It’s finally happening. The MVP of the Starburst flavors is finally getting the attention it deserves by getting its very own bag. Take advantage of this blessing by the Wrigley Company while you have the chance!

5. Charlie, the Oldest Dog in the UK

Charlie became a shelter dog when he was 16-years old and being an elderly dog in a shelter lowers the chances of adoption. But for Stuart Smith, Charlie’s age wasn’t important. Smith and his wife adopted Charlie right after they laid eyes on him and Smith believes that Charlie’s long life is due to how spoiled he is (his favorite things are long naps and treats). Though Charlie can’t run like he used to, Smith still carries him up hills so he can get fresh air, which is probably the sweetest thing I’ve heard all week.

Katie is an avid coffee drinker, Youtube addict, and online shopping enthusiast who is a sophomore at Scranton majoring in Neuroscience and Philosophy. If you see her studying, she's probably listening to the Harry Potter Score on repeat.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so