15 DIY Dorm Room Décor Ideas On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

For me, this is around the time of the semester where I get sick of the way my room is decorated. I want something new, something fresh, but I also want something that won’t break my bank account (because Starbucks is already doing that for me). After scouring the Internet, I’ve compiled a list of useful, affordable, and aesthetically pleasing room décor ideas for your DIY-ing pleasure.

1. Corkboard trivets

Cover these corkboard trivets with fabric, washi tape, regular paint or chalkboard paint to create a bulletin board that matches your own unique style!

2. Mason jar pencil cup

Perhaps the easiest and the most inexpensive of the DIYs, simply spray paint a Mason jar and load it up with pens, pencils and other desk supplies.

3. Reusable frame calendar

Buy a medium-sized picture frame and utilize the backing in the frame as the backing of your calendar. Then, hot glue paint swatches or squares of scrapbook paper to the backing to finish up your new calendar.

4. Polymer clay dish

Who would’ve thought you could make a jewelry dish in your own home? All you need is polymer clay and an oven. Roll out your clay and press it over the bottom of a bowl, and bake for the recommended time. For additional flare, make a design on the clay before pressing it into the bowl using lace, a pen to create a polka dot pattern or even a butter knife to create a more precise design!

5. Brick bookends

This is probably the easiest way to brighten up your bookshelf and all you need is two bricks and paint!

6. Decorating plain storage drawers

Use spray adhesive to attach wallpaper or scrapbook paper to the inside of clear, plastic storage drawers.

7. Bracelet planters

Finally, a use for all those chunky wooden bracelets you bought when you were in middle school. Use the bracelet to cut a circle in rolled out polymer clay, cut out a small hole for water drainage, and hot glue the clay to the bottom of the bracelet for your very own personalized planter! Decorate with paint pens for added aesthetic.

8. DIY area rug

Instead of buying one large, expensive area rug, find a few smaller rugs that fit your room’s theme and put them together with carpet tape. Not only is it cheaper, but it’s also way easier to find fun styles in smaller rugs.

9. Shoebox charging station

Prevent your chargers from getting tangled up by putting together this super simple charging station. Hot glue some wrapping paper around the shoebox, and use an X-Acto knife to cut holes into the side of the box, big enough to string a cord through. Finally, put a power strip into the shoebox, and you’re good to go!

10. Cookie tray magnet board

Spray paint a cookie tray, use Mod Podge to adhere scrapbook paper to the bottom of the tray, and cover in another thin layer of Mod Podge for your very own magnetic memo board! 11. Polymer clay photo holder

Stick flexible wire into a ball of polymer clay and bend it into your desired shape (hearts, hexagons, swirls and stars are pretty common) to display your favorite photos.

12. Recycled t-shirt rug

As Scranton students, it’s basically guaranteed that any school sponsored event will have free t-shirts. Here’s a way to put your growing collection of t-shirts to good use: cut out strips of the t-shirt, knot the strips in the middle, and hot glue the end of the strip to a flat doormat. Continue until the doormat is full, and you have a one-of-a-kind rug! 13. “Tie Dye” accent pillow

Take a plain, white pillow case and stick a piece of cardboard inside of it to keep it flat. Create your desired design using a permanent marker, then go over your design with a paintbrush soaked in rubbing alcohol for that tie dye effect. 14. Picture frame key holder

Simply take out the glass and the backing of an old frame, screw in a few hooks, and hang on your wall so you never forget your keys again! 15. Framed wipe-off board

Grab an old, inexpensive frame and insert some scrapbook paper underneath the glass to make a stylish (and useful) wipe off board for assignments and other important dates.

Katie is an avid coffee drinker, Youtube addict, and online shopping enthusiast who is a sophomore at Scranton majoring in Neuroscience and Philosophy. If you see her studying, she's probably listening to the Harry Potter Score on repeat.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so