12 Answers to Your “WTF” Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

TNS?

Tuesday Night Special is held at the infamous Goodfellas bar. It has a dollar Bud Light bottles special until midnight. Be prepared to start off the night with your well known sing along and have it jump to an all out EDM fist pump just for it to dull back down to hip hop and R&B. The occasional perks are promotional one-dollar Fireball shots and raffles!

Pennies?

Ahh, Pennies. The 9:55pm start to a great Thursday. Pay $5 at the door and drink unlimited beer until midnight! The night consists of double fisting, beer spilling and dancing and singing to songs that are usually not from our generation, i.e. Come On Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners. Don’t forget to bring your royal card!

Don’t let this be confused with the pennies on Wednesday… for it is not the tried and true.

ROTC?

Ever hear loud counting outside of your first year dorm? Don’t be alarmed it is just ROTC (Reserve Office Training Corps). From running up and down the steps between Driscoll, Nevils and GLM to doing workouts on the Dionne Green at 6am they are your wake up call. Actually, it is a sleep disturbance, but your voice will never project “shut up” loud enough to supersede their drill sergeant’s so don’t waste a breath.

LSC?

It is the Loyola Science Center. This is well known unless you are a freshman with classes in both LSC and LOY (Loyola Hall of Science). Both have “Loyola” and “Science”, are they the same building? No. The difference is the Loyola Hall of Science is a creepy 70s version of a classroom and LSC is the newer, poorly designed building where room numbers have you running around only for you to end up at a closet. Why is a closet numbered?

POD?

Provisions on demand is the perfect place to get your chasers before the weekend. It is also a great place to boost your self esteem when you can buy immense amounts of food, candy and snacks on your royal or flex. At least in one aspect of your college life you can feel rich.

JV side?

There are two sides to third floor DeNaples. The Varsity side, the right side, is the spacious and prime location for all dining needs. The JV side is for those that eat alone, don’t want to be seen or went the wrong time and all the varsity side’s seats were taken. Let’s just say if you can find friends who have table on the right side, sit with them even if its 6 to a booth. Just don’t sit JV.

Kegs and Eggs?

Try kegs minus the eggs with an addition of hotdogs. This Saturday special is the perfect pregame before basketball games. The best part is that the average attire is a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. No need to dress up, it is only 3:00 p.m. anyway.

Hill Section?

The historic hill section encompasses the university, the two hospitals serving the area and Nay Aug Park. Technically, where we are located is the “lower hill section.” For student’s purposes, those living on campus, the hill section is where junior senior off campus housing is location. The important streets are from Madison Ave. to Taylor Ave.

GLM?

Most of you know the joke term of GLM being the “giant lesbian mansion.” GLM includes Gannon, Lavis and McCormick. It occupies 219 girls. If you don’t go to Scranton and plan on attending don’t worry about it being only girls, be thankful for the fact it is the most modern first year dorm as well as the cleanest.

Across?

This is the dining hall under Montrone. My assumption is that across originated from people in DeNaples not happy with the upstairs food and want to go “across” (the street) instead.  Across is a term used for the dining hall even if you are not in DeNaples.

Take a lap?

Taking a lap is when you and your friend(s) walk around DeNaples 3rd floor to see what food is there to eat. Yes, you took a sneak peak of what food was offered before swiping in, but you don’t know where it is located or what it looks like fresh and not dried up.

Late Night?

There are two types of “late night.” The first starts at 8:15pm where you can get a breakfast sandwich and your late night craving of nachos. The second is the more important that starts usually at 2am when bars close. This late night involves kegs and your typical crowd of drunkards trying to make the night last.

Elissia Gobencion is a senior at The University of Scranton. She majors in Strategic Communications and has a minor in General Business. She studied abroad in Japan and summited Mount Fuji. Her favorite show is Game of Thrones. She fantasizes about globe trekking. Her weakness is Doritos Cool Ranch.
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!