samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 10 Phases of Finding an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The dreaded process has begun. It feels as though your life is dependent on the position you land in the next few weeks. In the words of DJ Kahled, “They’ll try to close the door on you…just open it.”

1. Second semester rolls around and summer is on the horizon. Gone are the days of looking forward to spending every moment on the beach, or lounging by the pool. Everyone starts buzzing about the dreaded word: Internships

2. The first step is updating your resume before applying…. does wearing jeans to class at least once a week demonstrate your professionalism?

3. You start by aiming high. NBC? The White House? Apple? Yup, I’m qualified.

4. Getting rejection emails from companies is almost as bad as getting rejected from your dream college, or the boy you THOUGHT was flirting with you all night. “Unfortunately, your skills don’t match what were looking for”…blah blah blah

5. It’s time to start aiming a little lower. You begin sending emails to all of your possible connections. Your dad’s best friend’s cousin’s sister will definitely hook you up with that dream internship.

6. As nice as it is to have websites like internships.com, it makes the process that much more confusing. Applying to 40 + internships in one anxiety filled night leads to getting random emails and calls from people you don’t recognize because you applied to so many places.

7. In between interviews, awkward phone calls, and selling yourself via resume, you soon realize you may be going nowhere in life. This comes in forms of “I’m literally so over this” and “Maybe I’ll babysit forever”

8. As if the world isn’t already against you, everyone you follow on social media starts posting about the amazing internship they just landed. You convince yourself that you don’t care; you wouldn’t want to be Beyoncé’s personal assistant all summer anyway…

9. You start refreshing your email every waking moment…. even your junk folder (just in case). Waiting to hear back is like waiting for rain in this drought. Useless and disappointing.

10. Finally, you get the news that someone, somewhere, wants you to work for their company. You excitedly call your parents, because they’ll be equally excited that the chances of you living in their basement for the rest of your life are slimming.

11. Wait……its unpaid????

Emily is a junior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication, with a focus in Public Relations. Emily can often be found ordering a venti black tea lemonade from Starbucks or petting random dogs on campus. She loves hanging out with friends, spending summers on the Chesapeake Bay, and can't be seen without her Bean Boots and pearl earrings.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_