Why We Need Elephants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Elephants never forget. And we shouldn’t forget about them. 

From the announcement of the Ringling Brothers Circus closing, to China shutting down ivory trade, elephants have been all over the news already this year. People are beginning to realize how important they are to the earth. Unfortunately, their extinction is coming very close to being a reality. In 2008, conservationists predicted that African elephants would be completely extinct by 2020. 

We have the ability to change this statistic. 

But first, why should we care about elephants? 

For centuries, they’ve been significant figures in religion and mythology. Their ability to be majestic, in spite of their bulkiness, has long captivated storytellers in South-east Asia and Africa. 

In Buddhism, elephants represent physical and mental strength, as well as patience and wisdom. What they lack in speed, they make up for conscious thought. Their long-term memories are what make them emphatic to others in their herd. The most famous elephant religious figure, “Ganesh” in Hinduism, represents generosity, total acceptance, and the “remover of obstacles.” Before starting a new endeavor in their lives, followers will to pray to him, in belief he will destroy the obstacles hindering them. 

In terms of environmental importance, they’re keystone species, meaning they maintain their ecosystems. They make it possible for other species to flourish in those environments. During the dry season, African elephants dig holes in the ground with their tusks, providing water for themselves and other animals. By feeding on trees and shrubs, they create gaps in vegetation, thus allowing new plants to thrive, preventing overpopulation. They also help in the distribution of seeds from the vegetation they eat, therefore encouraging the growth of plants, as well. 

Because of the elephant’s strength and size, their only enemies are humans. Their beautiful, ivory tusks have become a valuable investment in Africa and China. Also called “white gold”, ivory represents wealth and status. It is used in the creation of piano keys, furniture inlays, and intricate jewelry. In order to obtain their precious tusks, 38,000 elephants are killed annually, leading to endangerment and potential extinction. When elephant populations decrease, the demand and price of ivory only increases.

While we have the ability to kill these beautiful creatures, we also have the ability to keep them alive. We can all help make a difference for the better. And here’s how:

If you donate to the “Save the Elephants Foundation,” your money goes towards the improvement of advanced tracking systems that monitor African elephant populations, and defend them from poachers. Research is also conducted, to study the elephant’s everyday behavior. 

Other great organizations that donate a portion of their profits to saving elephants are “Ivory Ella” and “The Elephant Pants”. By purchasing their adorable pants, shirts, dresses, and other accessories, you are instantly giving money to the “Save the Elephants Foundation”, and spreading awareness on the issue. Since 2015, “Ivory Ella” has donated over 700,000 dollars to elephant-related charities. 

This just shows that no matter how small the donation, every one of them makes an impact. There is hope. 

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.