burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Sneakers Are the Best Thing You Can Add to Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

I never really thought of sneakers as an important part of my wardrobe. I’d really only ever wear them if I knew I was walking or running or if I felt lazy. It wasn’t until I got my first pair of Nike Air Force 1s two years ago that I realized how well a nice sneaker can fit into my wardrobe. This was also around the same time the athleisure trend was starting to make waves, and all major shoe brands were making the coolest sneakers for everyday wear. 

image c/o Veronica Germano

Sneakers have become an icon of casual fashion for everyone regardless of age, gender, or status. They’ve been a symbol of urban streetwear and with athleisure making its move into mainstream fashion, so have fashionable sneaker collections. But that doesn’t mean that some classic sneakers still aren’t among the most popular. If you’re just looking for a good sneaker or wanting to expand your existing collection, here is some inspiration from brands with the most versatile and quality footwear.

Nike

Converse

Adidas

Reebok

Vans

Photos c/o unsplash

To get the most out of a sneaker you’d wamt to go for something relatively neutral and with a classic shape. The right sneaker can go with virtually anything: jeans, joggers, dresses, you name it. If you’re looking for a more statement sneaker, a lot of shoe brands have come out with styles in cool colors and materials. Some of my favorites include suede, leather, pastels, metallics, etc. These are the types of shoes you can build a whole outfit around or they add that little something you might be missing. Shoes can make or break an outfit, and this includes what sneakers you wear.

With high-top sneakers, cropped pants always work best – and if they’re high waisted the combination will also give the illusion of longer legs. Sneakers that have a lot of color can be matched with neutral clothes to highlight the shoe are mixed with patterned clothes to give an air of high energy. If your shoes are made of different materials, really play up the textures in your outfit be it velvet, suede, or chunky knits. And you can never go wrong with a denim-based outfit when matching it to any kind of shoe.

Photos c/o pexels

For me, sneakers have become my go-to shoe. They match my personal style by making any outfit I wear an acceptable level of casual, in my opinion, and I wear them with about 95% of my outfits. The great thing about wearing sneakers is that you can be ready for any activity ,and they’re the type of shoes that have gotten the most compliments from passers-by. 

Sneakers as a fashion statement are becoming more mainstream and even luxe. Many high fashion brands like Valentino, Prada, and Chanel are coming out with their own take on luxury sneakers and they’ve taken the runway by storm. But instead of paying the hefty high-fashion price (which, to be honest, I totally would), a lot of more affordable brands collab with designers and artists to create lines of sneakers. Some of these include Converse x Commes de Garçon, Puma x Rihanna, and Adidas x Kanye West. 

Shoes are wearable art and sneakers are no exception. When you find the perfect sneaker (or sneakers) for you, you’ll never want to take them off.