What A Different World Taught Me About College Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

If you have not seen the hit ‘90’s show A Different World, you’ve missed out on a lot of relationship advice. The show is one of my favorites; not only because of the tackling of social issues, but the relationship of key characters, Whitley and Dwayne. It’s a beautiful college love story, which helps me with my own romance.

• Sometimes you learn by testing the waters or taking a break.

After much flirtation one semester, Whitley and Dwayne spent the summer apart.He wrote her romantic letters, and she played hard to get. What happened next? Dwayne decided he didn’t like Whitley’s “keep chasing me” behavior, so he began a new relationship. Even in this new relationship, he never fully erased his feelings for Whitley, and eventually he and Whitley “got together”. Lesson learned: If the feelings don’t go away, follow them.

• There nothing wrong with getting back together.

Like most couples, Whitley and Dwayne broke up. Most people say, “You broke up for a reason,” and while that’s true, people change and grow, and the reason you broke up can be resolved. Whitley began to date a senator, but her new beau’s status never deterred Dwayne. He kept at it, and the couple got back together.

• If it’s meant to be, it will be.

Dwayne stopped Whitley’s wedding to the senator right at the “I do’s.” And as you know, Whitley said yes to Dwayne, and they were married right there. It’s not a realistic ending, but it does go to show that you will end up with the right person. With all of their ups and downs, Whitley and Dwayne knew they were meant to be. And in the end, no one or anything stood between them.

Excuse me while I go eat popcorn and watch episodes on YouTube.