Throwback! What Rihanna and Rei Kawakubo Can Teach Us About Being Unique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

‘In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different’ – Coco Chanel

Let’s take a look back at last year’s Met Gala. It’s the fashionista event that celebrates fashion and art on the first Monday of May. Celebrities and fashion insiders are invited to the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Met Gala to witness the showcase. Last year payed honor to Rei Kawakubo, the founder of Comme Des Garcons, known for her extravagant, one of a kind, fashion. Of the countless celebrities and fashion insiders who walked the red carpet, who all eyes were on, was Rihanna. Sure, we all know that along with Rihanna’s decade-long talented work of music, Rihanna is a fashion icon. Every time Rihanna releases a new music video, appears on the cover of a magazine, or walks the red carpet at an award ceremony, we are there to appreciate her fashionable style.

The Met Gala was an event where Rihanna showcases her fashion style. Year after year, Rihanna is applauded for the amazing outfits she showcases at the Met Gala, grabbing our attention. But last year, she took our breath away. There was criticism of the Met Gala for celebrities not sticking to the theme. Not only did they avoid it, but they avoided the creativity, the extravagance, and being flamboyant, which are the values that resembles Rei’s work. Celebrities stuck to simple ball gowns and dresses. They played it safe, and conformed to what others would expect. They were boring, and thus, ignored and forgotten. Except for Rihanna; she took our breath away.  Not only did she follow the theme and paid attention to Rei’s iconic work, she made herself known on the red carpet. She payed attention to theme, but she understood the meaning of it and it’s context. The unexpected, bold, and outlandish.

Photo Source: TIME Magazine http://time.com/4762629/rihanna-queen-met-gala-2017/

Sure, it’s not something you would wear walking to class. But that’s what fashion, style, and art are. That’s what Rei Kawakubo and Rihanna represent for the fashion world.  Risk taking, breaking the norm, destroying the rules, are all what defines  “iconic”. Rei’s  approach line of work and Rihanna’s dress are more than just being about fashion and style. It represents art, creativity, and being one of a kind. Rihanna’s dress didn’t wear her, she wore it. We are still talking about it. Why? Because it’s a show stopping outfit,  (was it a bold color?  Shiny fabric?  A plunging neckline?  Squared off shoulders?   Exposed back?  Long train?  Give us a BRIEF description of what made the dress memorable.  I haven’t seen it.  Describe it to me:  An oversized cascade of sculpted flower petals work together as bolero sleeves; peek-a boo- midriff and a cut away miniskirt, and it was something we had never seen before. Rihanna wasn’t afraid to step out of the box and be flamboyant, she got the positive attention and reaction she deserved.  She posed with confidence. Countless journalists awarded her best dressed for the Met Gala 2017, and perhaps, best dressed of all time.

Rei Kawakubo’s fashion line, Comme Des Garsons, is iconic itself. Rei does not design clothes or fashion, she creates art. Her unconventional, outlandish, outrageous creations are what makes her known of one the greatest designers today. “I established the company on the premise of trying to always find something that didn’t exist, something new”, Rei said of Comme Des Garcons. You can’t find her work at in your local H&M or Forever21 where thousands of people are shopping and wearing the exact same thing. Rei’s work is unique. Her individuality was what made her honored with the rare privilege at the prestigious Met Gala.

Rihanna not only honored Rei’s creative work, but she showed us that being different, never being afraid of the extremes, and the unexpected, will make you noticeable, and one of a kind.

Schuyler Cannon is from Birmingham, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Jewelry. A lover of cats,sushi,ice cream,smiles,and art.
Stephanie is pursuing her B.F.A. in writing at SCAD. She has a passion for controversial menswear and loves buying clothes before trying them on.