Savannah Doggie Carnival: Yes it’s as Magical as it Sounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

The 17th Annual Doggie Carnival at Forsyth Park. Not only is the Doggie Carnival a super fun way to spend your Sunday, but it also goes toward a good cause! Proceeds from this event all go to the Humane Society of Greater Savannah—their biggest fundraiser all year. Not to mention, the Humane Society relies soley on donations becasue of lack of government funding. 

They have booths for everyone. There’s stuff for kids like face painting, bouncy houses, and a dunk tank, plus there’s beer for us “older kids” too. If you have a dog in Savannah, they’ll love it. For four-legged guests, there was a doggie derby, doggie ice cream, paw print art, doggie pools, photo booths, fortune telling, and lots and lots of dog treats. Pet owners could also get advice from trainers and see if their dog had a possible future as an emotional support dog.

Who says there’s a size limit on lap dogs?

Short on money? No worries. Admission is free, so if you’re short on cash you can just walk around and enjoy a park full of dogs. But if you do feel like spending here were some of my favorite things. There were food trucks including Blowing Smoke and Gourmet Grilled Cheese. Plus, there was a Ben and Jerry’s stand and a beer stand. They made it easy to keep your social media poppin with an Instagram photo booth for you and your dog. If I had my dog here, I would have had her participate in the paw print art which was amazing. Some of those dogs should be going to SCAD. They also had the best kissing booth I have ever seen, with Miss Zoe the dog. Zoe was actually adopted from the Humane Society of Greater Savannah several years ago. Now she couldn’t look happier and she was working that booth.

Image courtesy of Miss Zoe Dog

But by far the best part of the event is seeing everyone’s dogs! There were the big, the small, the hairy, and the bald. And there was even a special appearance from this adorable pig. This event is perfect if you’re like me and miss your dogs from home or need an animal filled study break. If you didn’t make it out this year, it’s an annual event, consider volunteering! It’s great to help out a good cause and petting cute dogs all day doesn’t seem like bad work.

Julie is a fashion marketing and management student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. She is working toward a career in fashion promotion so writing is very important to her. Other passions include theatre, dogs and girl scout cookies.