This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Clothing is expensive—it is important for every item to be flexible and diverse. What are the best investment pieces? Here are my top three key items for spring.

Pleated Midi Skirt

The first item is an olive green knife pleat midi skirt. Its airy and cool, and the midi length is flattering on almost every body type. Metallic varieties are also popular as the shimmer brings the skirt easily from day to night. I happen to be a big olive person, and I got this skirt at H&M.

This skirt can be worn with a button up to give it a more professional look. The white button up in particular, adds a crispness and floral details make it perfect for spring. The midi cut really lengthens a person when worn with booties or heels. This look is perfect for brunch or for a more casual workplace.

To make an impact on street style, pair the skirt with a tee, denim jacket and some crisp white sneakers. Since the skirt is so comfy, this look is perfect for class or anytime you want to look cute but feel great.

Even though it is a flowy silhouette, this is great for going out too. Pair it with some leather and high heels and you are ready for a night out!

Denim Culottes

The next key item is denim culottes. Any culottes are trendy and flattering but denim ones are really versatile and add an element of cool to any look. Culottes are amazing if you don’t feel like wearing shorts but still want something light are breezy. The ones in these pictures are from American Eagle.

Lace is a spring favorite, and this look is casual enough to wear out shopping, but professional enough to wear to work (if your workplace dress code is business casual). Chunky heels are trendy right now which is great because they are more comfortable and easy to walk in.

This plaid button up gives the look a menswear feel and I love the contrast between that and the ultra-feminine heels. On some people, culottes can shorten the body, so heeled items are ideal.

Bodysuits are hot this year, and this mock neck stripped version is great because it adds lots of interest to the look. It is also rib knit and I love playing with textures with my looks. This look can be dressed up with wedges or down with sandals or sneakers.

Slip Dress

Slip dresses have been popular for some time now, but here are some updated ways to wear it. Slip dresses are worn for a reason: they are comfortable, and endlessly versatile. This slip is from Express but you can pick up a similar one from most stores.

For a beachy, bohemian look, wear it with a kimono and some sandals. This look is not only perfect poolside, but it has great movement on a breezy day.

For a more casual look, pair it with an oversized sweater. I love the one in this look because the open knit keeps it cool on warmer days and you can still see the dress through the sweater. This transforms the look entirely and gives it a cool street vibe.

Many people wear the slip over a tee, but I opted for this velvet shirt to add texture and give it a fun twist. Even though velvet is traditionally a winter fabric, this year it is carrying into spring summer garments. I love this look because it matches perfectly with my favorite lipstick color. This looks great with chunky heeled boots or heels in general.

Modeling and hair and makeup: Adriana Rosario

Photography and styling: Julie Sampson

Julie is a fashion marketing and management student at the Savannah College of Art and Design. She is working toward a career in fashion promotion so writing is very important to her. Other passions include theatre, dogs and girl scout cookies.