This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

With a photography business almost five years old and only a sophomore at SCAD, Katie Frezza is a campus celebrity and is one to watch for future fame. Her passion and dedication has rocketed her to success in both school and her business. Read her history with photography and all about her hidden talent in our interview below.

Hometown? The Woodlands, TX

Year? Sophomore

Major? Photography

When did you first become interested in photography, and why did you decide you wanted to study it?

I first became interested when I was a freshman in high school and then when I was a sophomore, that’s when I knew it was what I wanted to pursue. I found it so intriguing because there was so much more to learn; it’s not just about clicking the shutter. There’s so much more thought behind it. 

Why did you choose to come to SCAD?

When I was a junior, SCAD visited my high school and I was so fascinated. I was the only photographer in my class but I learned so much about the school, I wanted to see it for myself so I came to tour the campus and I fell in love with not only Savannah, but also the entire artistic atmosphere. I didn’t want to leave. When I got my acceptance email, I burst into tears. I was so happy!

When/how did you start your photography business?

In 2009, I started shooting BMX races and soon after, people were coming up to me wanting to buy my photos. That’s what started it all.

What kinds of services do you offer?

I offer all kinds of services and I’m always up for trying something new.  My goal for my clients is to tell their story through my lens whether it be their wedding day, anniversary, welcoming a newborn into the world, graduation, etc.

What are your long-term goals for your business?

I’ll want to keep freelancing for sure and maybe even open my own studio!

What is your favorite type of photograph to shoot?

Seniors are some of my favorites to photograph because it really is all about showcasing personality!  Whatever their interests are – sports, music, art – capturing that essence in the photos is always so much fun!

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

I’m going to bend the rules and give you two: 1. Three-time Texas State Champion for BMX racing. 2. Getting into SCAD, duh!

Where do you see yourself in five years?

On set photographing interiors and food for Southern Living.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I race BMX and some people think I’m kidding because I wear dresses! It’s been a part of my life since I was in middle school. I would travel all over the country to race nationals with my team and I’ve met some of the most amazing people doing that. Now that I’m in school, I miss it very much but it will always be a part of me no matter what. 

To check out Katie’s photography, visit http://www.katiefrezza.com/

My name is Tiffany Troumouliaris and I am majoring in advertising at SCAD.