nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Keep your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

We all know how hard it is to keep ones New Year’s resolution. It’s the hardest thing to do, I mean keeping a promise for 365 days. INSANE! No one truly makes it all the way completing everything they’ve set for themselves. However, I’m here to show three simple ways that will truly help.

1)    Keep it Simple, Keep it Sweet Yes, you’ve probably heard this one before but trust me, it works. Making your resolutions simple goals rather than complex ones is one of the best ways to start. Let’s say one of your resolution was to eat healthier, but as soon as Target started stocking up for Valentine’s that resolution went downhill. 

How about instead you make your resolution to eat at least one plant based meal a day? That can be a salad, or a spinach wrap with your favorite buffalo chicken. The concept of eating healthy is very broad, however making the resolution a one meal thing is less complicated. As the year goes you can add upon this resolution and by the end you are eating way healthier that you did before. This method can apply to anything in your list, at least try it. 

2)    Take it Slow This tip is honestly one that you should already be applying to your resolutions and your life. Taking things at your own pace is okay also the safest and healthiest thing to do. New Year’s resolutions are for the whole year so don’t rush yourself to complete it in the first three months of the year. If you rush things or are impatient with yourself, you’ll end up struggling more. Trust me, I know life is frustrating sometimes and all you really want is to see results from all that hard work you’ve done that week. However, what you haven’t experienced is how beautiful it is to blissfully live life without worrying that you haven’t seen results from your latest detox. 

Remembering to take things at your own pace will keep you on the right track for a good and calm year. Slow and steady wins the race. I’d say the turtle above agrees with me. 

Now for my ultimate tip. It’s simple really, I call it the fool proof method. You ready for the secret? Okay, here it is. 3)    Don’t Tell Anyone Your Resolutions Now you may be thinking, “why would I do that? I mean all my friends are sharing their resolutions. I gotta do it too.” Well sweetie, you don’t really. There’s no written rule that says that one must share their new year’s resolutions with EVERYONE. Reality is that most of those resolutions will change within a month of starting. 

Keeping your resolutions to yourself helps you to focus on what is important. Getting that revenge bod is not as important as spending time with your family before you must move to a different state due to work. Show people your results rather than letting them in on your whole plan. Impress them with what you did rather than leaving them hanging with what you might do. Also by not telling anyone about your resolutions, you get to relax a bit since you won’t have someone nagging you every step of the way. 

That is all I’ve got for you guys, thank you for reading. Also, I would love to know if you ever try any of these. Simply let us know if it worked for you by commenting or sharing on social media with #HCSCAD.  Till next time, Nathalee Deya  

Illustrations:

Motivational Animals: @thelatestkate – thelatestkate.tumblr.com

Hello, girls! The name is Nat and Stage Managing is my game. I'm a junior Production Design major with a concentration in Set Design. I'm also part of the SCAD Her Campus Social Media. Some of my favorite things include anything Disney, Broadway, Pinterest and writing. Currently I'm working on two productions while keeping a 3.6 GPA, so yeah I'm pretty awesome. Hometown: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico  
Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.