freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to host a Galentines day with your girlfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

How to host a Galentines day event with your girlfriends!

Inspired by the Parks and Recreation episode where the optimistic protagonist Leslie Knope gathers together her ladyfriends on February 13th and support each other on the unofficial girls-only holiday, or as Leslie Knope puts it: “Oh it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas”

So lets get together and support each other!

Support ALL women

Weather we are Black, White, Hispanic, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist, Gay, Straight, or Trans, we need to support ALL women and girls, and not discriminate each other. Women needs to support other women, and how can we do that when we don’t include all women? Galentine’s day should be more than just a holiday spending time with your friends, we need to support our friends and other women.

Plan ahead

Don’t decide to hang out with your girlfriends the night of February 13th, plan ahead! Plan 3 days or even a week ahead with your friends and any ideas of what you want to do. Discuss, when and where you want to go, for how long, and how you want to invite. You’ll find it’s much easier to enjoy Galentine’s when you plan things out.

Movie night!

Going on a date with a cute guy? Pffff. Have a movie date with your girlfriends! Grab your overpriced popcorn, drinks, and snacks, pick out a movie you all want to see, and head to the theater! Whether you want to see the corny chick flicks or  lackluster horror movies Hollywood pumps out during February, doesn’t matter, as long as if you enjoy it!

Dinner night!

Who could ever turn down food? Head to your favorite restaurant, and enjoy each other’s company

On a budget? No problem!

Let your friends know that you cant be spending a lot of money, and they will fully understand! A simple night of watching your favorite tv shows on Netflix is always an enjoyable time. Pitch in together and you all can buy a large pizza together, or head to your favorite Mexican restaurant and order some nachos together!

Get outside

Live close to the beach? Get together and enjoy the sand. No beaches nearby? Head to the park, bring a Frisbee and enjoy the outdoors, and pet some cute dogs. Snowed in? Bundle up, and play an extremely competitive game of snowballs with your friends. Or hit the town and go sightseeing. Spending time with your friends out door is always a great experience

Host a potluck dinner party!

Everyone of your friends can cook their favorite meals and bring them over to chosen place. You’ll get to experience your friend different favorite foods and styles of cooking, and plus, food!

Get crafty

Leslie Knope is the queen of scrapbooking and making crafty, thoughtful gifts for her close friends. So, break out your supplies, open up some DIY tutorials on YouTube, and design something! Friendship bracelets, knitted blankets, DIY Bathbombs, drawings of your friends always make wonderful gifts, and it comes from the heart!

Enjoy your Galentines day!

Schuyler Cannon is from Birmingham, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Jewelry. A lover of cats,sushi,ice cream,smiles,and art.