nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Skin: 4 Ways to Get It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Oh, beautiful spring is here, the sun is out and flowers are blooming! It’s about the time people start getting ready for summer by taking care of their bodies and getting in shape for swimsuit season, but I think the main thing we need to focus on right now is taking care of our skin. Our skin is our main line of defense, and it deserves all the TLC there is to offer.  Here at four fabulous tips to getting healthy skin.

SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN!!!

One of the greatest enemies of your skin is the beautiful sun, so protecting yourself from it is essential. The main thing you can do it apply sunscreen before you leave your room, and continuing to apply it throughout the day as needed. A common mistake that is made when it comes to sunscreen is that people don’t think they need to apply it when the day is cloudy. However, UVA and UVB rays are still able to get through the clouds and reach your skin, so better safe then sorry and apply that sunblock. Other things you could do to protect yourself from the sun include covering up with a jacket or shawl, as well as using an umbrella as a shield.

Pour Yourself a Drink…. Of Water

Masks and moisturizers can promise they’ll keep your skin hydrated, but they only thing that can actually keep that promise is a giant glass of water. Drinking water tackles that the problem of dry, cracked skin directly. In the long run, keeping your skin hydrated will prevent fine lines and wrinkles, helping you keep that youthful look. If you don’t like water that much, you can also receive hydration from eating fresh fruits and veggies.

Avoid at All Costs Smoking!

There are hundreds of reasons why you shouldn’t smoke, but for now, we’ll just stick to the affects it has on your skin. First off, smoking decreases blood flow to the skin triggering premature skin ageing. Your skin will become dry, and you’ll have uneven skin tone. Aside from this smoking can also cause delayed wound healing! In the spring, we tend to get a little more active and that make result in some superficial cuts.  Delayed healing means you’ll be put in a greater risk of getting the wound infected. So please try to quit or avoid walking past smokers for the sake of your skin.

Oh, the Stress!

Spring quarter has just started and all the homework is starting to pile up. Stress is almost avoidable. But there are numerous ways to reduce so that it doesn’t start having a negative effect on your skin, like acne, rashes, etc. First, you have to remember that no matter how stressed and busy you are, you need to make time to take care of yourself and your body. Second, making healthy decisions, like working out everyday or getting enough sleep, can help in reducing stress. If those don’t seem to work, try just taking 30 minutes out of your day to do something you love. For more ways of relaxing, look of the infographic below!

Marisa Gutierrez is a BFA Graphic Design student at Savannah College of Art and Design. She hopes to specialize in Package Design and one day, design her own makeup brand. In her free time, she enjoys searching through YouTube for fun, new makeup tutorials, researching about new makeup and skincare products, and reading (Anthony Bourdain is her favorite author!).  You can follow her on Pinterest!