This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Unfortunately, we’re witnessing a time in history, where women are being treated as less than men in media and politics. 

Because of this, it’s especially important NOW, more than ever, to stop associating yourself with men who do the following things: 

1. Guys Who Don’t Respect Your Personal Space

You should be with a guy who cares more about getting to know you as a person, and less about when he gets to touch your breasts. Your future boyfriend should know to keep his hands to himself in certain situations. If you tell him multiple times to stop touching you inappropriately, he should respect that, and stop. It’s not a difficult concept. NO man should be touching you in any way you don’t feel comfortable. 

For example, if a guy (friend, stranger, etc) politely holds the door open for you in public, then counteracts that by slapping your butt as you walk through the doorway (without your consent), you better tell that boy BYE! 

2. Guys Who Only Do Nice Things For You To Get Something Out Of It 

This one is pretty common, unfortunately. For some strange reason, a handful of men feel that if they buy you expensive jewelry, or take you out to dinner, you instantaneously owe them a sexual favor in return. Because why be kind for the sake of it, right?  

This is just so deceitful and disrespectful on a multitude of levels. It screams, “I don’t care about your feelings or values, I just want to get in your pants!” If you take anything away from this article, please understand that you don’t owe a man ANYTHING, no matter what they do for you. You’re not a bitch for saying no; you’re a woman who respects themselves, and knows their self-worth. 

So if a guy asks you, “If I do this, will you sleep with me?”, you know what to do.

3. Guys Who Criticize The Things You Like

You don’t have to date a guy that likes the same things you do! However, he should respect your opinions and choices, even if he doesn’t necessarily agree with them. If he doesn’t, then he has no respect for you, in general. Simple as that. 

For example, since I’ve become vegan, I’ve met a lot of guys that criticized my dieting choices. They’ll show disgust at the foods I eat, or tell me that it’s not actually healthy. Their opinions are irrelevant! It’s my body, thus my decision on what goes in it. I don’t give them a hard time about eating Big Macs, so just let me eat my Kale Salad in peace! 

If your love interest can’t wrap his mind around this concept, then he’s not boyfriend material.

4. Guys Who Only Compliment Your Appearance, And Not Your Personality

Again, there’s nothing wrong with a guy commenting on how pretty you are. But if all he talks about is how nice your butt is, and never pays attention to how intelligent or talented you are, then we have a problem. Your appearance does NOT determine your worth as a person. If your man puts more emphasis on how great your body looks, and less on your personality, then he’s not worth your time. 

When I was younger, people would always comment on how beautiful I was. When hearing that, my father would respond with, “Tell her she’s good at math!” In reality, I’m terrible at math, but even my dad understood that I was more than just a pretty face. 

And your future boyfriend should know this, too. 

So ladies, I give you permission to BE PICKY, in terms of a guy’s personality. You should never settle for a guy that does these things, regardless of how hot he is, or how much money he makes. 

Those qualities matter so little when you meet a man who:

-Won’t force you to do anything you’re uncomfortable with.

-Does nice things for you, not expecting anything in return.

-Tries the things you like, even though he doesn’t like them, because he knows that they make you happy, and that’s a good enough reason for him. 

-Appreciates your inner and outer beauty. 

These guys aren’t just in fairytales. They’re real, and they’re worth the wait. 

My name is Kaley! I am from Long Island, NY. I'm a Film and Television major at Savannah College of Art and Design. My goal is to one day produce, direct, and write films and music videos. Along with Film, I also love singing, photography, writing, and yoga.