Bringing The Kitchen To Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Dorm life can have its perks, but someone like me who loves baking and home cooked meals—the lack of a kitchen is tough. Over the course of the year, I have realized the dining hall close by is not my all time favorite, and sometimes I’m just too lazy to walk across the street. Therefore, after hours on pinterest and many failed attempts, I’ve come up with a dorm cookbook. It includes meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Something pleasing for every time of the day.

For All Your Hunger Needs:

Rice Cakes with Almond Butter – This combination can honestly go for any time of the day, it’s a good lunch as well. I use brown rice cakes because it is a little bit healthier, then top it off with either almond butter or peanut butter, sprinkle chia and flax seeds on top, and lastly a slight drizzle of honey. You can also add bananas, apples, or any other kind of fruit and it would be just as good – or maybe better. Delicious!

You Need:

1 to 2 Rice Cakes

1 TBSP of Almond Butter

1 TBSP of Honey

1 TSP on Chia and Flax Seeds

Any Fruit Topping (Optional) 

Hard Boiled Eggs and Smashed Avocado – You must be wondering, how on earth do you make hard boiled eggs in the microwave? Well, it is actually very simple. I take four eggs, put them in a glass bowl and fill it with boiling hot water that sits just above the eggs. Place it in your microwave for 6-7 minutes, and afterwards place the eggs in cold water before you peel them open. After they’re cooked, peel and dice, mash them in with your avocado and top with pepper flakes and classic salt and pepper.

You Need:

2 Hard Boiled Eggs

1/2 – 1 Avocado 

Salt and Pepper or Pepper Flakes 

Steamed Broccoli: Yes, this one is super simple but quite honestly I had to look up how to do it just to be sure. Place your chopped raw broccoli in a bowl, place a glass plate on top, and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. I usually just sprinkle some salt on top, and you have yourself a meal. 

You Need:

Handful of Raw Broccoli 

Salt

Sweet Potatoes: Take one large sweet potato, wrap it in a damp paper towel, and place it on a glass plate in a microwave. Cook for 3 minutes, flip it over, then cook it for another 3 minutes. Let it cool before you peel off the skin, and after peeling, drizzle agave all over. Then there’s a quick and yummy dinner ready for you to eat!

You Need:

1 Sweet Potato 

Agave 

Rice Cakes With Avocado and Eggs: You can also top your rice cakes with smashed avocado and hardboiled eggs. Or you can substitute the eggs for scrambled eggs, and to make those just crack your eggs in a mug and mix with a fork and microwave for about a minute or more. Another yummy meal!

You Need:

1 to 2 Rice Cakes

1 to 2 Hard Boiled Eggs OR 1 Scrambled Egg

1/2 to 1 Avocado 

(Optional) Salt and Pepper

As you can see these recipes are really easy, and also some great late night snacks! Therefore, if you can make it to the grocery store, or your local farmers market every once in awhile – be sure to test these out! Perfect for lazy people with a kitchen as well!

Coming from North Carolina, I did not grow up in such a busy hectic city. Although, I have grown a strong passion for writing and blogging through the mist of living in a small town. Along with blogging and writing, I have strongly added fashion into a lot of my content. Now, a freshman in college, I am excited to explore more of what a bigger city like Savannah has to offer.