Breaking the Mold: Spring Break in the Snow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Everyone dreams of the perfect college spring break, and, in the past couple of weeks, I bet many had something pretty close. I know I did.

When spring break started, I watched all my friends grab bikinis and tanning oil and head to tropical resorts close the equators, where my 3 friends and I packed our warmest clothing and flew out west for a week in Beaver Creek and Vail. The experience was unparalleled by any other break I had experienced, so here at four reasons you should skip the sand and choose a snowy spring break! 

1. Spring in the west has incredible snow and warm temperatures (and you can still get tan)

Skiing Beaver Creek, I was pleasantly surprised to only need a base layer and my jacket the temperature would reach into the high 50s and the sun and warmth would soften the snow to be perfect conditions for both advanced and beginners. And, by the end of the trip, my face was just as tan as if I had been in the caribbean.

2. The scenery is incredible!

Pictures don’t do it justice, while pictures are spectacular, the expansiveness of wilderness surrounding you cannot be captured on an iPhone screen.  

3. There’s actually a lot of other things to do in winter besides just ski! 

Walking around towns that transport you to Austria and old Europe is the perfect setting to feel like you are in a different world for a little bit while you gear up for the final stretch of school. Besides that there is hiking, snow shoeing, skating, sledding, and lets not forget hot tubbing all to be offered in the North and hard to find in southern countries.

4.     It is surprisingly not crowded

Lift lines were short and slopes were empty since a spring break on the beach is the go-to. I saw many snaps of crowded beaches on friend’s story while I got a break of the people and crowded places (after all we get plenty of that in college). Whether you are an introvert of extrovert, a little space is always a welcome break! 

If you go to a school where the snow is on the ground while you live in the dorms more then it isn’t, a tropical vacation might be just the change up you need, but for us southerners, many of whom has never seen snow, winter towns are the perfect rural escape for an experience unlike anything offered in most of the United States. Break out of your comfort zone and experience a different lifestyle. It is a chance to try out a new lifestyle and definitely good for pictures that are the kind you print and frame. 

I grew up an avid skier and athlete in rural Vermont, and moved to Savannah, GA for college. A few months into college, I changed majors and found a love of fashion design with a focus on athletic wear and sustainability.