Why Aren't You Smiling ? (W.A.Y.S)

Hello Beautiful! How are you? It’s been awhile. I hope your day was amazing. Do you remember getting discouraged at any point last week? Are you starting to dread the life that you chose? Maybe its school, work, family, or relationships? Well, you shouldn’t feel like you’re “overreacting” or being dramatic because these are real feelings. Trust me, I get it. BUT, I have a question for you ,“Why aren’t you smiling?” 

I know. I know. You’re probably thinking you don’t have anything to smile about, but you do. Before we get in to why, I’m going to share something with you. Personally, these past few weeks have felt like the most stressful days I’ve ever been through in my life. I’ve had a headache everyday, I haven’t been feeding my body enough nutrients, and I’ve been missing out on ALOT of sleep. The projects that I've been assigned seem endless and some days, I honestly can't see how I'm going to make it through. However, I keep pushing because I chose this. I want to become my BEST self and I understand that with greatness comes struggle. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I say this, when difficult situations arise, I tend to forget. 

On the other hand, I’ve noticed that for a lot of us, when things don’t go the way that we “planned,” we automatically start to think negatively about the entire situation. We stress over what "should’ve" been rather than appreciating what we have left. We allow ONE bad situation to affect the way that we feel about our WHOLE life. Why do we do that? Think about it. Maybe your alarm didn’t go off one morning and you KNEW that you would be late to work. What was your mood while you were getting dressed? I’m pretty sure EVERY human would be ANGRY. You get to work not even realizing that you’ve allowed that ONE mistake to control your entire mood for the day.

SO, how do we fix this? We smile. For what? We smile because we’re able to see the natural light from outdoors, whenever we want, that some aren’t allowed to see. We smile because even though we may not have "a lot" of support, we have SOMEONE, who will be there when we need them. FYI, if you’re thinking that you don’t, you should think twice, because you have me. We should smile because even though our “plans” didn’t work out, the plan that God has is much bigger than what we'll ever be able to see.  I can’t tell you to be positive ALL of the time beautiful, because I know that that is impossible. However, I want us to work on allowing our situations to open our minds and guide us to living freely. We shouldn’t worry so much about how we THINK life should turn out or get wrapped up in how other people want our lives to look. Instead, we should focus more on enjoying OUR process. OUR individual processes are like babies, they're similar, but they each require unique forms of attention. Trust me, you’ll be happier in the end. Keep living and keep SMILING. I hope you have an amazing rest of the day and a WONDERFUL week! I’ll check back in soon. 

Love, 

Serica 

Song Inspiration: W.A.Y.S x Jhene Aiko 

Serica began her college journey at Spelman College and later transferred to SCAD Atlanta, where she majors in Interior Design. Her bubbly personality is what most love about her. She is a visual artist and lover of sunflowers. As a believer of adding light to every dark spot in the world, she strives to use her voice to share her knowledge and experiences with women across the globe. She is currently collaborating with HerCampus SCAD ATL as a Staff Writer. Follow her on Instagram: Sunny_Sunflowerr

You Might Also Enjoy