These 5 Trends from the Met Gala 2017 Will Have You Taking Notes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

The Met Gala is an event that initiates the opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute’s annual fashion exhibition in New York City. So, it’s only appropriate that all the guests, graceful as they remain, wear their wackiest, most couture formalwear. From the insane headdresses to the mile-long trains, everybody is attempting to outdo one another. I thought it was hilarious when Kanye showed up last year wearing a pair of ripped blue jeans!

I’ve combed through all the celebrity red carpet looks from this year and noticed a few trends. Some are new, some have been around the block and are back, and all make for quite the statement on the red carpet.

Feathers

Remember when feathers were cute in your hair. Well, feathers are becoming fashionable accessories, again.

Blake Lively took to the Met staircase with a shimmering, gold chain dress and blue tail feathers. The vibrant hues remind me of a Blue Macaw.

Lupita Nyong’o wore a tangerine colored gown with a feathered collar. Though she is certainly ravishing in orange, this look could pass as the elegant orange cousin of Big Bird.

Janelle Monae’s Black Swan-esque, monochromatic dress uses a feathered collar to frame her face.

Zendaya’s bright colored lips and finely afrowed hair perfectly complimented the Dolce & Gabbanna dress, which displays the birds and flowers of the tropics.  Not quite physical feathers, but it had to be mentioned – and it certainly goes with the bird theme.

Naked 

It’s a popular trend right now and probably won’t be going away for a bit.  

A little less naked than the original, Kendall Jenner wore a look nearly the same as that of Rose McGowan’s famous 1998 MTV VMAs choice. I’d say this one’s a little more chic as well. 

The Jenner sisters definitely coordinated on their looks for the night. Black compliments Kendall’s moodier side, and gold fits Kylie’s glam aesthetic.

Technically, what Bella Hadid is wearing does cover her all of her body. However, I’d classify Hadid’s piece as a unitard with subtle hints of skin.

Covered Up

Maybe this trend is in protest to all the naked dresses and ensembles that have been gracing the red carpets for quite a while now.

Jennifer Lopez is one of the original sources of how to rock a naked dress, so this baby blue, flowing gown is refreshing sight. Her hair and makeup is gorgeous – [CB1] I don’t think she ever ages.

Katy Perry is another celebrity who likes to show off her natural assets, so this red veil and gown combo is an intriguing choice for the singer.  Apparently, it was an ode to Lady Gaga, who wore a red lace dress that covered her face and dawned a bright red crown to make a stand for gay rights in the 2009 MTV VMAs.

Now, the way Priyanka Chopra has chosen to cover up is quite elegant without being too much.  The clever use of a trench coat, showing a little leg and shoulder is just enough to show she is lovely as ever.

Solange Knowles is wearing a puffy parka –  a pristine one with a train – it’s as if she’s come right off the ski slopes.  Hey, nobody said you couldn’t be fancy and do extreme sports.

Legs

This one’s popularity is a no brainer, since summer means our legs get to come out from hibernation.

Many are praising Rhianna for being the only attendee to stick to the Rei Kawakubo theme. She makes the look her own with a statement top knot and gladiator-esque heels.

This Canadian songstress knows how to be dramatic. It would be wonderful to see and hear more from Celine Dion in the coming year.

Adriana Lima is stunning, but she can’t eclipse the moment that was Angelina Jolie’s leg at the 2012 Academy Awards, as so many have tried.  But hey, it’s nearly every woman’s best feature – no shame in showing it. 

New Hair

New season, new hair. Many celebrities are changing up their hair to create a whole new look.

I’m sure this sliver hairdo isn’t permanent, but Cara Delevingne is going for an edgier look by shaving her head.  So this is where the shaving your head trend is coming from…

Lily Collin’s[CB1] [CB2]  beauty is classic, similar to Audrey Hepburn. This haircut is very 60s Mod.

Selena Gomez sliced her long locks just last week – the new look is refreshing. I’m sure she’s enjoying the liberating feeling.

My Personal Winner of the Night

Paris Jackson

You could tell she was having a fun night with her friends Ashton Sanders and A$AP Rocky. She looked naturally gorgeous and her icy blue eyes popped with the help of subtle makeup and the black Calvin Klein dress is a classic choice.

Of course celebrities are trendsetters, but they also take risks with their first steps on the red carpet. Everyone might think their outfit looks like garbage or their hair makes them look like an insane person. I think it would be fun to emulate some of the looks worn at the 2017 Met Gala.

Just remember:

“Don’t be into trends. Don’t’ make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.” -Gianni Versace
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World