Shaky Knees Band, Con Brio, Talks Music, Inspiration & Performing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Con Brio is a band out of the Bay Area whose members include seven talented, and I must say, quite handsome guys: Ziek McCarter, Andrews Laubacher, Jonathan Kirchner, Micah Dubreuil, Xandra Corpora, Mike Hirschis. Their sound is best described as funk, pop, upbeat music that makes you want to dance. Their most popular single Free and Brave that tackles social issues that have and are still happening in the United States; exclaiming we are free and brave. Other singles include their newest ‘Money’,’Sundown’, and ‘Never Be The Same’. Never Be The Same has a more Motown feel, while being one of the bands slower songs. If you get the chance to see them live it’s sure to be an fun, real, connected experience. They recently played the Shaky Knee festival in Atlanta. I got the chance to ask them a few questions about their band, and tour life and here’s what they said:

Her Campus (Christen Gladden): How was the band formed?

CB:   “Very organically within the diverse Bay Area music scene. We all crossed paths through different jam/recording sessions and bands. At some point we decided to really focus our talents by writing our own original music and illuminate what the Bay Area music and art community thrives upon, which is harmonious diversity.” 

HC: How has it evolved over time? 

CB: “Our chemistry has gotten stronger and more fluid together. We strive to improve ourselves and our brand within all we do.” 

HC: What’s it like working together? 

CB: “An evolving work of art.”

Con Brio – Free & Brave

HC: Where do you get your inspiration from?

CB: “Life experiences and lessons I’ve learned or have yet to learn.”

HC: Is there an artist you look up to? Why?

CB:  “There are definitely a few (Travis Scott  & Kendrick Lamar being some of the recent ones). But I really admire and respect Pharrell Williams, gr8ly. His musical proficiency and songwriting skills in different genres as well as Pop music is very inspirational.” 

HC: What is your favorite part about being on tour?

CB: “Connecting with different terrains of the Earth while connecting with the people that live there. You’ve access to learn and be inspired by soooo much.”

Con Brio – Kiss the Sun – Audiotree Live

HC: When you are not on tour, what do you do?

CB: “Play around the Bay, write new music/rehearse, spend time with our loved ones, and self care (beach/nature walks, movies/entertainment, rest). Though, we haven’t had a lot of time not on tour this year.” 

HC: What city/country are you most excited about visiting? And why?

CB: “I’m (Ziek) excited to play in Japan again. They’re reception to us left the strongest impact on the band so far. They really help elevate the energy we put out.” 

HC: Has the type of equipment you use changed over time?

CB: “Definitely. We have a saying called, “new year, new gear”. We like to improve whenever we can.  We want our gear and our performance to be able to go the distance.  For example, we’re now in the process of integrating in-ear monitors for me and the drummer.” 

HC: Any new singles coming out?

CB:  “Coming Very Soon :) “

HC: Can you walk us through the process of writing a song? 

CB: There’s no one process, it all varies according to inspiration. In fact, I just wrote a song on the spot yesterday in soundcheck feeling inspired by the rain that sprinkled down upon the festival (Shaky Knees) lawn lol. Sometimes the music comes first, sometimes the lyrics/concept comes first. Either way, one of us brings in musical ideas and I weave the lyrical narrative through it.

Con Brio // Sundown [Live at The Independent]

HC: What’s your favorite song to perform live? 

CB: A song we have that’s not recorded yet called, Open. Its a upbeat crowd participation song inspired by Fela Kuti‘s song, Open & Close.

HC: What are the biggest rewards and set-backs to being on tour? 

CB: Rewards are seeing new places, people and expanding our world perspective together through music & culture. Setbacks are being away from loved ones 60% of the year.

HC: What’s everyone’s must have on tour? 

CB: Food, water, & neckpillows.

Want more?  Follow them on your social media of choice: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and of course YouTube.

Fashion Marketing Major at SCAD. Minor in business, Junior.
Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.