My Biggest Takeaway Quotes from My Interviews at SCAD’s aTVFest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Who knew that a perk to working with the media would be to get to talk to famous people as a part of the press?  Pretty awesome, right?  The best part is you get to share everything you learn with the world.  Here’s some of the highlights of what I learned interviewing this year at SCAD aTVFest. 

Brooklyn Sudano (Taken)

Trust your instincts and know the power of NO.

HCSCADATL:  What are like the top pieces of advice that you would give to young women?

Brooklyn Sudano:  Yeah, ya know, a big thing that I’m just like learning now, having been in this industry for like almost a decade over.  Is to trust yourself — even when you’re new.  Trust your instincts, because there will be a lot of voices telling you one thing or another, but you have to trust your gut.  Right and so, because if you trust your gut, you will never regret a choice, because you will have been like, you know what, I made that choice myself and you weren’t forced to like do this or that. 

Also, the power of No, because sometimes you will have a lot of different opportunities, and you’re like, Oh, well, I just just want to get my foot in the door or whatever, but it might not be the right thing and I’m going to do anything it takes.  I mean, you have to have a mentality like that to a certain extent, but also knowing when to say, This is not for me and that’s okay. You know, because sometimes when you say no, yes is right around the corner, and if you say yes to the wrong thing, then you’re missing out on the opportunity that’s really what you want to do. 

Mike O’Malley (Survivor’s Remorse)

[Y]ou have to start writing stories…And, stay in home and work for every night you go out.

Teyonah Parris  (Survivor’s Remorse)

[K]now that your beauty is not what you look like…It’s how you treat people, how you treat yourself, respect yourself.

Image of Teyonah Parris, courtesy of Christine Burney

Meagan Tandy (Survivor’s Remorse)

[I]f you have a passion for something…you’ve got to know your craft…develop that skill, research it, make sure that you’re strong and an expert in that craft.  And, then, start pursuing it.

Image of Meagan Tandy, courtesy of Christine Burney

Related article:  The Cast and Creator of Survivor’s Remorse Interview at SCAD aTVFest

Adam Horowitz (Co-Creator/Writer, Once Upon a Time) 

[W]e were friends first. (on the secret to the successful writing team dynamic between he and co-creator, Edward Kitsis)

Image of Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, courtesy of Getty Images for SCAD

Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon A Time)

[Y]ou have to be prepared…You need to be writing your own things, creating your own things.  Find out what it is that you want to say, so that when that opportunity is presented to you, you’re not caught off guard and it passes you. 

Colin O’Donoghue (Once Upon A Time)

[W]hen you’re at your lowest…you have to…Try and spur yourself on and remember that there is a reason and that you are doing it for the right reasons.

Related article: Once Upon A Time, the Must-See Interviews From SCAD’s aTVFest

Justin Hires (MacGyver) 

Don’t let fear hold you back from trying to pursue your dreams.  I think that’s the biggest thing.

Related article:  The Cast of MacGyver on the Role of Improvisation in the Creative Industry

Nicole Yorkin (writer, Z: The Beginning of Everything, second from left) 

Writing is re-writing.  Writing…can be hell for many people but, you know what, it’s just writing and re-writing, until you get to the point where it’s good enough. 

Image of the cast of Z: The Beginning of Everything, courtesy of Karen Rooker Photography

Dawn Prestwich (writer, Z: The Beginning of Everything, right) 

You don’t learn unless you make mistakes, and sometimes mistakes can lead you down really interesting roads.  So, you can’t be afraid to make mistakes, ever.

See the full interview here:   My Interview with the Writers of Z: The Beginning of Everything

Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.