The Magic Behind the Unicorn Frappuccino

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

You’ve been hearing whispers about it for a week or two. You see the color concoction on Instagram. You wonder “How does it taste?” I’m here to tell you about the Unicorn Frappuccino made by Starbucks for a limited time.  

I work at Starbucks and I’ve heard the other baristas groan whenever a Unicorn Frappuccino order comes through because it takes a long time to make. The drink is meant to look pretty, and so we don’t want it to be a blended purple mess. I have yet to try a full Unicorn, but I have tasted a sip.

I can tell you what’s in it that makes it so magical. It’s a mixture of Crème Frappuccino mix, mango syrup, vanilla syrup, pink powder and a sour blue powder that tastes like citric acid. It supposedly changes flavors by going from fruity to sour, which doesn’t sound like a good thing. Sour Patch Gummies go from sour to sweet, which seems like a much better deal.                                                                                                                                                    

The 16oz drink has got 410, 59 grams of sugar and 5 grams of protein in it. It’s a lot to drink especially for those who don’t like strong flavors or syrupy tastes. I’ve had a few customers order the Unicorn before 10 AM, which is far too early for that much sugar.

One of my friends is a shift manager at a different Starbucks location, and when I asked him his opinion of the Unicorn Frappuccino, he said one word: “Gross”. Honestly, if you are on the fence about trying it, I say just do it. It’s a fun experience and it’s a limited time offer. So it’s not like you’ll ever have to see the drink on Starbuck’s menu boards again, since it ends on Sunday, April 23rd! 

I work at the Peachtree Battle Starbucks, which is at 2333 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta. I always love to see SCAD students there and maybe I’ll be handing you a Unicorn Frappuccino! And starting in May, there will be Frappuccino Happy Hour between 3-6pm.  See ya there!

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World