stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

(image)

You know spring has finally sprung when you wake up with itchy eyes, headaches, a runny nose, and suddenly you step outside and your once white car is now lightly colored yellow. According to the FDA, approximately 36 million people in the U.S. are estimated to suffer from seasonal allergies. While we know that medications like Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec are readily available, they can also come with side-effects such as drowsiness or may just be something that not everyone is comfortable taking. Luckily, there are a handful of natural remedies that can help you get through allergy season as painlessly as possible.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

As if there wasn’t already a massive list of uses for ACV (natural skin toner, dandruff relief, bad-breath saver, etc.), you can now add allergy relief to the list!

Taking a teaspoon of it every morning in a glass of water is an excellent way to help clear out your nasal passages and have you breathing easily for the rest of the day.

Butterbur

According to Mashable, Butterbur is a plant whose “extracts are used for headaches, fever and nasal allergies, and it blocks the chemicals that can cause swelling in the nasal passages.” Oh and did we mention that unlike traditional allergy medication, it doesn’t make you drowsy?

Butterbur can be sipped on in tea form or taken in capsules.

Bee Pollen

Buying local bee pollen sounds a little silly, but it’s a good way to help build up your immunity to the pollen that’s around you. The pollen usually comes in little grains so it may not be the easiest way to swallow on its own. I recommend sprinkling some into a morning smoothie, yogurt, or even taking it along with a spoonful of honey.

Local Raw Honey

Raw honey is also a good way to fight allergies because it contains bee pollen and thus also helps build up your immunity to allergens. When purchasing either bee pollen or raw honey it is always a good idea to buy local since it’s the pollen from your surrounding areas that you’re trying to build immunity to.

Eucalyptus Oil

Essential oils have gained a large following within the last year or so and eucalyptus oil is no different. Much like the other products on this list, eucalyptus oil is also known for its ability to reduce inflammation.

According to draxe.com, it can be used in a variety of ways including inhaling it via diffuser, adding a couple drops of it into your detergent when you do laundry, or by rubbing it on your chest to make breathing a little easier.

My name is Maria and I'm currently a sophomore, documentary photography major (with a drawing minor) at SCAD. I'm a self described concert junkie and I try to go to shows at least once a month - big bands, or local ATL ones. l'm also a Beatles maniac, crazy cat lady, and am a sucker for a good ol' English accent!
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World