5 Reasons to Try Out the New SCAD Enterprise Car Share Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

If you’re like me, you’ve been wondering why there are rental cars in the SCAD parking lot.  With the recent bike-sharing co-op at the SCAD Savannah campus as well as for the city of Atlanta, it’s refreshing to see that there is also a CarShare option. Many students at SCAD don’t own a car to zip around in, and for these students needing to run errands or get across town, there is a new option..  So, what is this CarShare thing all about?  I found out, so that I could share it with you!  Here’s the lowdown on the CarShare option and how you can easily get your engine revving right now.

1. Take a short trip affordably — no strings attached.  

You literally walk to the SCAD parking lot and voila, you can rent a car within minutes.  Just reserve online or on the app.  Oh, yeah, there’s an app…

2. There’s an app for it.  

Become a member first, then you can: 

• Reserve, view, modify or even extend a trip from the comfort of this app.
  • Get the geolocation to find CarShare vehicles in the area (ours – SCAD parking lot).
  • Use it to upload fuel receipts.

3. Ready, set, go…to EnterpriseCarShare.com.

• Join – First, apply, and once approved, you will receive a membership card in the mail that will give you access to the vehicles.
  • Reserve – When you need a vehicle, reserving your car is as easy as logging in, choosing your desired car and how long you need it.  And with the mobile app, reservations can be in the palm of your hand. Unlock and Go – Your trip begins with the wave of your membership card over the windshield sensor, which magically unlocks your vehicle.  The keys will be waiting inside for you.
  • Return – Once your trip is over, return the vehicle to the parking lot, wave your membership card one last time, and the car will turn into a pumpkin jk…the car will just lock and your rental time will be over.  Don’t forget to leave some fuel for the next users –fuel card provided inside. More on that later.

4. Low cost — fuel, insurance and 24/7 roadside assistance included!

Join for free today at EnterpriseCarShare.com/scad  and receive a $10 driving credit when you use the promo code: SPRING17.  This offer expires 4/9/2017; so hop in and take it for a spin!  

• Rates for SCAD students

• Intermediate vehicles are $5 per hour, $63/day, and $35/overnight (6pm-8am).
      • 200 miles/day included + $.35/mile after.
      • Weekdays = 8am Monday – 6pm on Friday
    • While the small SUVs are $5/hr, $69/day and $40/overnight.
    • The one-time $20 application fee is currently being waived.
    • There is a $25 annual membership fee that is also being waived for the first year.
  • Insurance includes: 

• Ages 18 and older

• Physical Damage Waiver: Member is responsible for the first $500 of any damage to the vehicle.
      • Liability: For members 18-20 who do not have their own insurance, Enterprise CarShare will extend liability protection up to the state minimum required amount.
  • Read instructions closely to avoid fees.

• You could be charged if: fuel level is below 1/4 tank – $25, late extend – $50+, late return $50+, membership card replace – $10, improper return – $25-$50, smoking – $250, etc. Just pay attention and you’ll be fine. 

5. Sign up easily

• Be a SCAD student 18 or older.
  • Provide your scad.edu email address.
  • Have a credit card in your name for the application.
  • Have valid driver’s license.
  • Provide your local address where you receive mail.
  • Do not use special characters (i.e. an apostrophe or hyphen) in the “Name” field when applying. If you have any questions during the process, just call 877-599-3227 or email join@enterprisecarshare.com.

It’s a new program and it’s a new year, why not try it out?  Here’s to trying new things.  Cheers on your adventure.

Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.