Why Shopping At Walmart Isn’t Always The Best Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

You had it all planned out. You looked around your room and apartment to see if there was anything you needed. You made a list. The list contained only three items: milk, eggs and toilet paper. You’re trying to do the right thing and budget your money, but then the inevitable happens…

You’ve heard it before: “Don’t go food shopping if you’re hungry,” but who actually listens? You know you don’t. During the middle of your shopping trip—because you foolishly decided to skip lunch—your stomach starts to growl. You’re hungry. Surprised? I think not.

Next thing you know, you’re going back into the aisles looking for something to eat. Then that little voice inside your head convinces you to get those Oreo ice cream bars you’ve been craving for the past week and those fudge brownies that are “just so good.”

Now you’re in the chips and soda aisle and those Lay’s potato chips are speaking to you. A light bulb goes off. Tomorrow’s Friiidaayyy! A case of beer and a Tropicana juice is added to the cart. “Cha Ching” for Walmart and R.I.P. to your budget.

Your friend, who actually cares about your spending habits, looks you in the eye. You probably say something along the lines of, “I can’t help myself,” or “I need it.”  You know that is far from being true. Your eyes are bigger than your stomach and you’ve lost control. 

Once everyone was done shopping, you head to check out. You personally scan each item one at a time and place them into bags. You swipe your card, take your bags and your receipt and then head out to the car.

You get home, unpack your groceries and put everything away. Milk—check.  Eggs—double check.

Then, just when you have to go to the bathroom, you realize you forgot the damn toilet paper.

Hello lovely,I’m Dasey. Yes- it’s pronounced just like the flower. I’m a 22-year-old writer/blogger/ communicator. News reporting isn’t my thing, but feature writing is where it’s at! I love miniature dogs and dancing obnoxiously in my apartment. I’m not shy about giving my opinion about something- So, expected the unexpected.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.