This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Why is it such a big deal to have big lips, big boobs, and a big butt? Sometimes I find myself really frustrated over this strange, modern infatuation of having the smallest stomach and somehow at the same time, the biggest butt… or boobs, or whatever.

Society is setting expectations for women that are simply unattainable. Any way to achieve the frankly disproportionate, “perfect” body is most likely an unhealthy way.

For example, celebrities such as the Kardashians are displaying and promoting their use of waist trainers over Instagram. Waist trainers are tight-laced corsets that reduce your natural waist size. So basically, you are putting yourself through an uncomfortable, and perhaps painful experience just so that your waist can shrink.

In my opinion, this is an unhealthy habit and a negative influence on the girls who look up to celebrities who do this. Please keep in mind that I am not doing this to hate on the Kardashians, because trust me when I tell you, I too was once a devoted fan.

I just want to raise the question of why we are sending the message that you need to literally alter your natural body form in order to look “beautiful.” Plus, this message is being heard by impressionable young girls who will do anything that they think will help them gain confidence. I do not think I am over-exaggerating when I say that this type of negative aspect of society is a huge part of the cause for issues such as eating disorders, depression, and even anxiety.

The message we need to be sending is one that teaches girls to love and respect themselves, not to hate and abuse themselves. The message we need to be sending is one that does not require a loss of breath, or a poke of a needle in order to feel confident. Face it, no amount of lip filler is ever going to fill the empty space inside of you that society itself has carved out.

To all of you girls out there struggling to fill an empty space of your own, remember this: self-confidence may be able to fade, but it can never be lost. Figure out the one thing that you love most about yourself and hold on to it, focus on it with every single bit of energy you have left in you. It might just become the key to clearing up the clouds of insecurity that have been dulling the brightness of your natural beauty.

Photo Source: http://www.india.com/wellness-and-beauty/can-waist-training-be-harmful-t…

As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.