What NOT to do at college parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Not everyone goes to college parties and that’s OK. But, if you plan on attending parties this year as a freshman, you may not know what to be expecting. Now, not every college is the same when it comes down to parties, but there is usually a general theme of events that can happen.

Some college parties could be potentially dangerous, especially when drinking and drugs are involved. Most colleges usually go over these dangerous scenarios with students during their freshmen year. They go over things such as; how much alcohol is in a drink, drinking laws, what to do when a friend isn’t doing too hot, etc.

This article, though, is more about things that you probably shouldn’t do in general when going out, even if you do decide to drink. I’m not going to nag on you and be like a mother, but I’m speaking from experience. Everything that is listed in this article are things that have happened to me, or I have seen happen to other people.

1. Do not leave your friends alone

This is probably the most important of them all. When you are going out with a group of friends, you should make sure you’re always in sight of one another. Although most girls usually have no intention of leaving their friends at parties, it happens, and sometimes being alone without your friends can go downhill. Though things can happen quickly in the moment, leaving a friend alone at a party for something else can not only be seen as rude, but can potentially put you or your friend in danger. It’s one thing to leave your friend when there’s a group of you, but leaving them alone could be awkward or dangerous. Just try to be mindful… if possible.

2. Don’t go alone

This stems off of the first no-no. Although most people don’t go to parties alone, it sometimes happens. Always try to go with other people to a party where you don’t know the people that will be there. You may know the people that are at the party and might be meeting up with them, and that’s OK, but it’s always better to have someone go with you. Walking alone late at night can be dangerous and sometimes scary. Just try to steer clear from that situation as best as possible.

3. Don’t drink randomly

Rule of thumb that you’ve probably heard before is to not drink something you do not pour when you’re at a party. If you’re at a bar, then you can (hopefully) trust the bartender, but also don’t leave your drink unattended. Also, when at house parties, don’t drink from a punch bowl or jungle juice. You never know what will be in it when it comes to alcohol content and someone could’ve laced it. If someone offers you a drink, watch them make it, and if you’re skeptical about it, toss it.

4. Don’t wear something you care about

College parties are messy. The amount of times I’ve walked on sticky floors, sat in an alcohol-soaked couch or have gotten something spilled on me is crazy. Wear things that you wouldn’t mind if they got messy. Also don’t wear expensive jewelry or a nice jacket that you might take off and lose later on in the night. You might not be thinking about losing the nice pair of studs that you have on while getting ready, but things happen.

5. Don’t bring a purse

I’ve brought a purse to parties so many times and have always regretted it. You think I would’ve learned my lesson after the first time, but it took me a while. You might think you need a bag to hold your phone, keys, lipstick, etc. in, but the reality is that purses are just an inconvenience at college parties. Just put your phone and your keys in your pocket or a trusted friend’s pocket. It’s not fun carrying a purse around at a party when you’re mingling or when you want to dance. Plus, it’s not a smart choice to set it down somewhere. You may think you’ve found a good hiding spot, but things can get rowdy, it could get lost in the fray, you may forget it, or someone might actually steal it. I could preach this all day, but I won’t. So, just take my advice: Don’t bring a purse!

6. Don’t drink too much (obviously)

No one goes into the night thinking, “Oh, yeah! I want to get so drunk tonight I’ll be puking on someone’s front porch!” So, just don’t get to that point! Drink in moderation and don’t end up being that girl that pukes on someone’s front porch, or just puke in general. It’s not a fun experience, is embarrassing, and could put you in danger.

7. Don’t leave with someone without telling your friends

Your friends will get worried about you if you suddenly just disappear. If you’re going off with another group or that cute guy you have a crush on, make sure to tell your friends so they know. Especially if you don’t know the people or the guy all that well, it’s best to tell your friends in case you’re placed in a dangerous situation or they end up being sketchy and you want to leave.

8. Don’t be the girl that snorts coke off of a toilet seat.

Enough said.

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust