What Being Sick in College is Really Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Whether you are in elementary school, high school, or college, having a cold, sore throat, or anything else of that matter really, really sucks.

It’s goes like this: you’re feeling fine one day, but have a slight headache throughout the day. You go to bed thinking nothing of it and — BAM — it hits you in the face (literally) when you wake up. At first, you think it’s just a day-longer and if you make it through classes you can actually have an excuse for taking a nap to shake it off. However, as the day prolongs, you realize this is going to be more than what you had in mind.

The struggles of having a roommate when you’re sick are higher than normal. You don’t want to get them sick, but you also don’t want to leave your room. So, it’s a constant battle of coughing in your blankets or going to use the public restroom to throw up. Besides, we barely even want to sit on those toilet seats let alone want to put our faces next to them. Having a coughing attack in the middle of the night and waking up not only your roommate, but also everyone on your floor is just plain embarrassing and annoying to everyone (including yourself).

When you wake from your nap, it’s time to call your mom and whine about your sad, sick life. She gives you some good pick-me-ups and tells you to go to your on-campus doctor office. You say OK, but you don’t actually end up going, because you know that it’ll just go away on it’s own. When you realize it isn’t going away, and start to think you should’ve listened to your mom, you suddenly flash back to the last time you were at the health center. Still no, not happening. You beg her to come and visit with homemade chicken noodle soup but, sadly, she has a life, too.

The moment when you look into the mirror when you’re sick is probably one of the ugliest sights you have ever seen. Ever. You don’t even recognize yourself. You contemplate putting on makeup, but since every bone in your body aches, you can’t even lift your arm to get the eye boogers out.

Once your friends find out that you’re sick, it’s a complete game changer for them. Most of them will act like you have Ebola and avoid you at all costs. While they try to act concerned for you, we all know that they are just basically looking out for themselves. But really, who blames them for not wanting to get sick?

After a couple skipped classes, a whole season of Netflix watched, and infecting almost all of your friends, you finally begin to feel better. The sore and dry throat goes away, you can finally look at food again, and you’re only left with the weird-nasally voice. Until next time…

cheese pizza fanatic
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.