Stranger Things Season 2 Review: Did it Live up to the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

*Warning: spoilers ahead

Since I finished “Stranger Things” Season 1 last July, I’ve been waiting eagerly for Season 2 to come out. I loved the first season and the finale left me with so many unanswered questions about Will, Eleven, Hopper and the rest of the crew. I had really high expectations for this season and honestly, all of them were fulfilled and even went beyond.

I loved the introduction of the new characters this season, especially “Mad Max” Maxine, her step-brother Billy, and Kali. For me, this season ended up being bigger and much better than the first. The main antagonist in this season ends up being the “shadow monster” and is somehow connected to Will (who is honestly the unluckiest kid ever). I felt so bad for Will this entire season because he really didn’t do anything at all to deserve being under constant control by weird, supernatural demons. But, I guess that’s just what happens in Hawkins. Joyce and her newfound (and short-lived) love with Bob Newby gave the show exactly what I didn’t know I was looking for in an adorable, mature love story with a tragic end.

The emergence of crop-killing vines, tunnels in the ground, and a new hoard of “Demo-dogs” wreak havoc on Hawkins and the kids. We’re introduced to a super cute familial relationship between Hopper and Eleven which bounces between the two extremes of light-hearted, family-like conversation, to Eleven clairvoyantly busting out all of the windows in the secret cabin he keeps her in and then running away from him.

Like I said, the new (and old) characters really gave the show an interesting dynamic and many captivating character developments to watch as a viewer, most prominently with Eleven. Once Hopper and Eleven have a huge fight, she runs away and meets her mother who, interestingly enough, communicates with her even though her brain is fried after all the testing done in Hawkins Lab and teaches Eleven some crazy things about their past. She also meets her “sister” Kali who was also a child in the lab with Eleven.

We watch an amazing development in Eleven’s character as she grows from an adolescent with angst and no control over her powers, to a strong independent individual who has the capability to fight the biggest monster yet and save the day. The season ends with a reunion between Eleven and her boys, along with an obvious cliffhanger that shows the Upside Down is still storming even after she tried her hardest to close the gate between the two worlds.

I wouldn’t be surprised if absolutely none of this made sense if you haven’t watched the show, and if that is the case, I am urging you definitely go watch “Stranger Things” Season 2. It’s absolutely worth it. If anything, watch it to stare at the new antagonistic character Billy because he is super hot and that would’ve been enough for me.

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust