This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

What a blessing and a curse it is to live in a world where at your fingertips you can find just about anything and everything, but that even goes as far as for people. So here’s a classic college situation. You meet a guy ro girl and think there might be a connection. Now say something comes from this connection, and you and this person of interest decide to go out on a date, what a novel idea I know, how much power would it take for you to not stalk their social media presence, see what you can find out about them?

In these situations there are two sides of the coin. On one hand you can do a little recon on them, the life they portray on the internet. See who their friends are, perhaps find some common interests and a maybe even a red flag. But then again if you were to look at your own profile on Instagram, or any other platform, would you say that that is an accurate representation of who you are? Have we become to accustomed to taking everything we see on these tiny screens as fact at face value?

I can say that I have definitely caught myself in moments of judging someone simply based off of their posts, before I have even gotten to know them. Sure its great to get a little behind the scenes information beforehand so you can see what you are getting yourself into, however it can be hard to forget a prejudgement.

I suppose that a world without social media would allow far more mystery and full experiences into dating and meeting someone. I’m sure there have been many cases of finding some red flags on someones social media that have kept people out of a bad situation. Perhaps the best advice to give in these situations is to ‘Proceed with caution’.

Photo Credit: imagesource.com 

I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.