This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Flashing lights, blasting music, high-end clothing on high-class models. The only thing that this dream is missing is me. For as long as I could remember, I have dreamt about attending, or perhaps even working at New York Fashion Week. 

I know you all have probably had this same dream before, so I am here to help make that dream at least a little bit of reality for you. I chose three trends from this year’s fashion week, and broke them down so that you could easily incorporate them into your own wardrobe. 

Most of the new trends featured in the shows are not out in stores yet, but I went ahead and predicted where you will be able to find them once they do hit the stores.

The first trend that I picked up on is the cold shoulder. This has been a popular trend in 2016, but NYFW 2017 has introduced a new version of it. Instead of exposing both shoulders, the new cold shoulder exposes only one. This trend is called the “single-shoulder cutout.” 

Considering which stores already sell the old version of this trend, I think that both Garage and American Eagle will include the new version in their stores beginning next fall. I can see these two stores incorporating it into a basic long-sleeve shirt, perhaps with a little bit of distress as well. 

The second trend that stood out to me in this year’s shows is animal print. This was shown in two different ways; combined with leather, and worn on its own. 

In result of the edgy nature of this trend, I predict that stores such as Forever 21, PacSun, and Urban Outfitters will feature clothing that exhibit it. I believe that this animal print will most likely show up in sleek pencil skirts and midi-dresses. 

The last trend that you can easily incorporate into your own closet is the over-the-knee sock trend. As many of you may already know, especially all my fellow college students out there, thigh-high boots have been extremely popular this fall/winter. It seems to me that the go-to party outfit includes some sort of crop top, skinny jeans, and thigh-high boots. 

I think that the over-the-knee sock trend is definitely the most exciting because interestingly, they will have the same effect as thigh-high boots; as long as they are paired with a short hemline such as of a mini skirt or perhaps a little black dress. Plus, you can go from a preppy look to an edgy look with this new trend, so it is very versatile. 

In my opinion, Forever 21 and Francesca’s will end up providing the socks in their stores by next fall. The reason I say this is because both stores are very accessory-oriented, therefore, over-the-knee socks will fit in perfectly. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and that it was helpful to your personal style! 

Sources: 

http://www.elle.com/fashion/trend-reports/g28728/spring-2017-fashion-tre…? http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/g7860/new-york-fashion… http://www.instyle.com/awards-events/fashion-week/new-york-fashion-week/…

As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.