The Must-Follow Skin Care Routine for the Fall/Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

With the change in weather approaching, a new skin care routine is also in route for your future. The climate around you impacts your skin differently, especially when it is a midseason change such as now. A big part of your routine should stay the same, as will be explained in a bit, but for the most part, there should be a change. These products I use have not hurt my skin in any way; but be careful when choosing the products you put on your face because every skin type is different and will react differently to various products.

During the summer, my skin gets super oily because of all the sweat and hot air surrounding my body. This makes me break out a lot more if I do not take care of myself, especially when it comes to wearing and taking off makeup. It also happens in the winter. Except with the temperature dropping, your skin will most likely become a lot drier. A lot of my tips I have gotten are from celebrities, magazines (shocking, I know) and of course, my mom. But, for the most part, they have worked. So, here is my routine for medium to oily skin:

As soon as I wake up in the morning, I chug half a bottle of water before absolutely anything else. Since water is so important for our health and our skin, it is the most important part of my morning. After I drink that, I go to the bathroom and wash my face with freezing cold water to calm down whatever swelling my face has gotten over the night. A face wash I swear by is either Neutrogena (not the grapefruit one) or for the cold, harsh weather, St. Ives Oatmeal Scrub + Mask. As soon as I use these, my face feels much smoother, the puffiness is gone and I feel ready for the day.

My mom has basically forced moisturizing my face and skin down my throat since I can remember, and I cannot thank her enough for that. Especially because of how much I used to be out in the sun with makeup on or not, my skin got damaged at some point or another. For a moisturizer, I have been using Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer SPF 15, without fragrance and then Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Lotion, both with my face and just a tad bit damp so the lotion really sinks into my skin. However, when using the lotions, it is super important to only use a tiny layer of both so it does not feel like there is so much grease on your face. If you go about using makeup every single day, make sure your foundation always has an SPF level to it. This protects your skin from the sun in all weathers and helps keep your face hydrated. I like to use Bare Minerals for a foundation because it is super lightweight and gives my skin air to breathe. One of my biggest tricks I have learned during every season is to go a few days without wearing absolutely any makeup. It gives you a certain kind of confidence mentally and is super healthy for your skin.

For my nighttime regime, I still wash my face with freezing cold water and one of the face washes mentioned above. However, if I am doing a face mask, which I do every 3 nights, I won’t even touch the face wash. I use a lot of different masks, but right now I am using Freeman’s Feeling Beautiful Clay Mask, which has overall made my skin a little brighter and I have not had any intense breakouts in a few months. Since the facial already strips your skin of the dead skin, the face wash will just take away from more of the new skin that is being unraveled. It ends up

being way too much for your skin and then the point of the mask is ruined. After I have finished washing my face, I only apply the Paula’s Choice moisturizer. Even though it says it is for the daytime, it works super well for the night.

None of the products I use have a fragrance that lasts long on your face because every time I have used one like that, it has made me breakout or just made my skin super dry. So, I tend to steer far away from those. Paula’s Choice is a brand I swear by, my mother swears by and a lot of other women in my family swear by. It has never been harsh on our faces, and all the other products I ran into are purely experimentation. But since it works for me, I thought I would share it with those whom also have medium to oily skin!

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust