MLB: Predicting the Unpredictable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Wow! This playoff series is one like no other! There been some unexpected turns such as the Cleveland Indians not making it past the American League Division Series (ALCS). This is something I still cannot believe because of how well they played all year. This is a total shock to fans and all of Major League Baseball. Now, since the Indians are out of sight, I predict that the Houston Astros (101-61) and the Los Angeles Dodgers (104-58) will be in the World Series this year.

The Astros and the Dodgers have had incredible seasons winning each of their divisions. The Houston Astros have star pitcher Justin Verlander and Dallas Keuchel. In game 2 of the ALCS, Keuchel had 10 strikeouts in seven scoreless innings against the New York Yankees. The Yankees (91-71) bounced back and shunned the Astros in games 3, 4, and 5. Fan favorite Aaron Judge has come in clutch these last three games. He’s had some big hits and key homeruns, leading the Yankees to victory.

Astros star, Dallas Keuchel, did not bring his A-game in game 5 and the hitting was very quiet. I still believe that the Houston Astros will pull through and win the series in seven games. The Astros now realize that they need to step it up and get the win at Yankee Stadium on Friday (10/20). Justin Verlander is pitching for the Astros and he needs to bring his A-game. If Justin Verlander can pitch— there will definitely be a game 7. Jose Altuve and Chris Correa need to come in clutch on Friday so they can bring it back to Houston. Game 5 was a shock to most people, but I think that loss in Houston for the Astros will wake them up.

The Los Angeles Dodgers are looking sharp in the National League Championship Series (NLCS). I predict the Dodgers will beat the Chicago Cubs (92-70) in five games. Chris Taylor and Yasiel Puig were huge contributors each adding key homeruns in a 5-2 victory in game 1. Justin Tuner put on quite the show and had one of the biggest moments of his career with a three-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to lead the Dodgers past the Cubs 4-1 in game 2. The Dodgers put on the quite the show at Wrigley Field for game 3, securing a 6-1 victory.

The Cubs avoided the sweep on Wednesday (11/18) with a 3-2 win over the Dodgers. Yesterday the Dodgers came close, but now look to game 5 to close out the series on Thursday (11/19). Clayton Kershaw will be on the mound as the Dodgers look to win at home. If the Dodgers hitting can keep it up, that will lead them to victory over the defending champions Chicago Cubs.

I predict the World Series matchup will end with the Los Angeles Dodgers beating the Houston Astros in six games. Let’s see how this one turns out, but wow what a wild playoff series!

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust