How to break the ice and bond with a new roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Getting a new roommate can be like Christmas, or it can be like your 21st birthday— a terrible mess. Regardless of your situation, everything is what you make of it. Getting used to living with someone other than yourself takes time and patience, both of you have routines and set schedules that will be shifted with a new roommate.

When breaking the ice with your new roomie, it is important to respect their privacy. Most people don’t want to open up about their life to a stranger or to someone that is not in their close circle. A way to break the ice with getting to know your roomie on a personal level is to offer up information about yourself that will make the person feel comfortable with you. Most people will trust you more when they know you better.

It is important to give yourself time and learn to take baby steps. This doesn’t mean don’t talk to your new roomie or be cold to them, it just means give them their space and time to come to you.

When things start to get a little more comfortable, suggest an activity that you can do together. Shopping, going out to eat, a local museum, or even a concert are all good ideas. Each one gives you a different opportunity to learn more about the person.

Shopping is great first activity together– especially since you don’t always have to stay together and find small talk. Shopping is fun to do with someone else because they can tell you whether you’re being dramatic with your purchases, or if that shirt really does look good on you.

Photos from imagesource.com 

Overall, find common grounds between the new roomie(s). Everything takes time and this could be the be the start to a new friendship. 

cheese pizza fanatic
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.