This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Hi Collegiette’s, we’re back with our third #blackgirlmagic profile! This profile is special to me because it ties into one of the best experiences I’ve had in my life. In December, my best friend and I attended my first ever probate! A probate  is a new member presentation where the newest members present history, reveal who they are and often step or stroll. It is an exciting time for the Greek community when new members join. I’ve never attended a probate in my life or had any real interest in Greek life until then. I may not ever cross over into the Greek world, but I do have a new level of respect for those who do endure the process. The one thing that stood out for me, is our next profile. She stood out to me the most. Her energy, her facial expressions, the strength of her voice, just everything! I remember telling my best friend, “I have to do an interview on her” and now I can say, I have the interview! This interview will be on Qiana Staton-Vega, one of the newest members of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, INC! Although, her line crossed 7 magnificent women, she definitely stands out. Read below and you’re sure to see why! 

Otissia: What made you want to attend Savannah State University?  

Qiana: Well, originally I didn’t’t want to come here, but I found out about the Forensic Science program, and since Savannah wasn’t’t too far from where I live, I figured why not?  

Otissia: What attracted you to become a part of the HBCU culture?  

Qiana: Once I got here, after my first semester, I realized that the HBCU culture is what you make it, and that it could give me so much. So from then on I knew I had to get involved to gain everything I could from this prestigious HBCU.  

Otissia: So far how would you describe your college career?  

Qiana: I would say it’s been a house of giving. I know that may sound weird, but SSU has given everything from amazing friends, to amazing opportunities. It’s truly an amazing feeling.  

Otissia: What advice would you give to to incoming freshmen especially girls would like to eventually join Greek life?  

Qiana: To do your research. If you want to come to SSU, know what qualifications are needed for the school and the specific organization. And get to know the people in that organization. We won’t bite.  

Otissia: What sorority did you join? What is your favorite thing about your sorority? What attracted you to the sorority?  

Qiana: I am a proud member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, INC. & wow, I’ve never been asked what’s me favorite thing… but one of my favorite things would be the bond that all the lines have within each other, which is one of the things that attracted me to the sorority.  

Otissia: What’s your favorite thing about your line sisters and why? What emotions were you feeling the night you crossed? What’s the most special thing you’ll take back with you, from your probate?  

Qiana: With my line, you never know what you’re gonna get. Even though there’s only 7 of us, we all have different personalities and that’s what makes it so fun. I wouldn’t’t trade them for the world! Emotions? Girl I was all over the place! Excited for it to finally be happening, and nervous that I was gonna mess up or something in front of everyone. The most special think I took from that night was the support from my team. You never know who is down for you until it’s time. 

Otissia: Are you apart of any other organizations on campus?  

Qiana: Yes! I am a Student Orientation Leader! 

Otissia: What is the most important thing you’ve learned so far about Greek life?  

Qiana: I think it would be that the influence Greeks have is immense, so it’s really important to be mindful of what you do. 

Otissia: What are your post college plans and how do you plan on using your degree?  

Qiana: Well, I plan on going to grad school to become a Chief Medical examiner, which is basically the coroner. 

Otissia: Who is your inspiration and what motivates you to be as successful as you are?  

Qiana: I don’t think I have a one true inspiration, but my mom motivates me and pushes me. She never lets me forget what I can do and how far I can go.  

Otissia: Do you have a quote you live by or that really motivates you?  

Qiana: “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou  

Otissia: What do you have planned for your Junior semester at Savannah State?  

This semester of Junior year, I plan on going really hard in my classes! Gotta keep that GPA up!  

13. What are your social media handles ( Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat ) so our readers can follow you?  

Insta: qianaakiva_  

Snap: qianaakiva 

Twittter: _Akivaaaa 

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.