Style > Beauty

Leilani Brannon: The Beauty of A Flower Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

We’re back we our amazing interviews of the marvelous women of Her Campus of Savannah State! This interview is about one of our writers Leilani Brannon! Lei ( for short) is a sophomore at Savannah State University, she’s a member of Bowen Smith Hall’s board, she’s a Tiger Ambassador for the university, an active student on campus who participates in numerous activities! Her Campus of Savannah State is overjoyed to have such a beautiful soul apart of our chapter. 

Otissia: What is your major & why did you pick it? 

Lei: My major is Visual and Performing Arts with a concentration in Studio Art. I have always love art ever since I was four years old.

Otissia: What are you aspirations for your degree & career path? 

Lei: With my degree I want to be story artist for a major animation and film making studio (Disney, Cartoon Network, Pixar, etc.) and an independent painter.

Otissia: Why did you decide to attend Savannah State University? 

Lei: Originally I wanted to attend Savannah State with a major in Physical Therapy. And I decided to change my major to Visual and Performing Arts and wanted to attend SCAD but then changed my mind to my original choice Savannah State because its a HBCU, the feeling of home that I got when I toured campus. 

Otissia: What are three of your favorite things about Savannah State University? 

Lei: Everyone on campus is like a family, the organizations that Savannah State offers,it is a HBCU so I love being at a school where I can see beautiful, driven and black and foreign people graduate and be successful it inspires me

Otissia:What 2 pieces of advice can you give incoming freshmen? 

Lei: Get involved and stay busy it helps you be successful and get out of your social circles and network.

Otissia: What are 2 things you’ve learned about yourself so far attending Savannah State? 

Lei: Being patient, humble, and kind will get you far. Also, being yourself is the best thing you do.

Otissia :Are you in any organizations or plan on joining any organizations & why? 

Lei: I am in Her Campus Savannah State and I plan on joining SGA, Tiger Ambassador and RHA.

Otissia: Now to the fun part! As a wonderful member of Her Campus of Savannah State University, why did you decide to join? 

Lei: I decided to join because I wanted to get involved on campus and it was the first organization who fostered my potential. 

Otissia: What do you plan on gaining from Hcsavannahstate?

Lei:  A network of sisters and a platform for my future endeavors.

Otissia: What would you like to see from Hcsavannahstate this year? 

Lei: I would love to see Her Campus Savannah State have more events, community service, and just more opportunities to  meet and interact with members.

Otissia: As a writer what has been your favorite piece you’ve written and a piece another writer has written? 

Lei: I love Naomi’s Feminist piece it was absolutely fantastic. And, my favorite article I have written is my piece on Her Campus Savannah State. It really is gonna be a piece of history for a fantastic organization.

Otissia: What is your favorite thing about Hcsavannahstate?

Lei: Interview people who are gonna have articles and interacting with the woman of the organization.

Otissia: What are three unique things you would like for our readers to know about you?

Lei: I am from Las Vegas, NV, I have huge plans for my college career, and I love to help and inspire people.

Otissia: Who’s your biggest inspiration and motivation to be the remarkable woman that you are?

Lei: My mom and every female role model I’ve ever had. They have thought me so much and have shown me what a lady transforming into a woman should be.

Otissia: In five years where do you see yourself?

Lei: I want to be a graduate of Savannah State University and at the start of my career.

If you would like to get to know Lei more you can follow her on Twitter at @leilanibrannon 

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.