Alexis Singleton: One In A Million

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

As you know, we here at Her Campus Savannah State, love spotlighting women campus who are doing phenomenal things and this week we we chose Alexis Singleton! Alexis is a softball player for Savannah State, a bright spirt on campus, a photogentic beauty, and an all around asset to Savannah State. Often women on campus are over looked and not given acknowlegdement that they deserve and Alexis is one of those women! Read below to learn more about this treasure! 

Otissia: How would you describe your college experience? 

Alexis: I would describe my college experience as a growing process. From the time, I came in Fall 2013, to now, I’ve become a lot stronger and happier with myself than I ever was before. And it continues to improve every single day.

Otissia: Why did you decide to attend Savannah State University 

Alexis: A softball scholarship brought me to SSU. I had other offers in Florida, like FAMU, but I wanted to get out of my home state. Try something different

Otissia As a senior what do you wish you could have told your freshman self? 

Alexis: Two things:

1. Get closer to God.

2.) Love yourself first. I was so stuck on trying to find someone before I had even found myself. It’s an impossible task.

How could anyone possibly love you, when you don’t even love you? Put some work in on yourself first.

Otissia: What motivates you to keep going knowing how hard college can be?

Alexis: My future goals and future family. I just want to be able to live a comfortable life, meaning being able to do pretty much whatever I want whenever I want and to be able to give that same life to my children. Today, it’s hard to do that without a college degree

Otissia What I your favorite part about college?

Alexis: My favorite part about college is meeting different people from different occupations. You’d be surprised what people have offer you as far as conversation goes. Talk to everyone, they all have something to teach you.

Otissia: What is your favorite memory as a freshman & senior?

Alexis: Freshman: I can’t pick just one, honestly, that was just the best year ever. I was so carefree. Senior: Our spring break trip to Miami. We had fake names and people thought we were famous. What for? I don’t know but we went with it.

Otissia: What advice can you give incoming freshman?

Alexis: Be open to trying new things. Not everything you try you’ll like but how can you know if you never try it. The best way to learn and gain wisdom is through personal experience. I’m not saying go out and do drugs, lol, I’m talking about things you fear. Make a bucket list and try to get through it by your senior year!

Otissia: If you could go back and relive or redo any experience in college what would it be? 

Alexis: I wouldn’t have come to college in a relationship. Not that I missed out on anything because of it, but it was stressful and not something I should have been dealing with as an 18-year-old

Otissia: Who’s your biggest inspiration?

Alexis: My dad. He’s the most important person in my life. I admire his faith in God. I really hope that I can supply my family with the love and support that he has one day. He’s a big part of his church and just such a great leader. I’m grateful to have such a close relationship with him. He’s shown me exactly what a man should be. He’s dependable, he’s kind, humble, he would do anything for any of his kids. He’s just the best person ever.

Otissia: What are you most proud of accomplishing in college? 

Alexis: Completing all four years as a student- athlete on the softball team. It’s very hard to remain focused with everything that’s going on around a college campus. There’s just some things you can’t engage in because you have a contract with the NCAA that your scholarship depends on. 

Otissia: What is your major & why did you choose it?

Alexis: Mass Communications, PR & Advertising. I like people and I’m creative and good at detecting what attracts people to something

Otissia: What do you hope to accomplish after graduation? 

Alexis: That’s a good question. Lol, I’m very in the moment, I just go with what feels right. I plan to travel a little before I settle in for a job in my career because once I’m in I can’t just be like “hey, i need two weeks off to go to Italy, ok? thanks.” But by a year after graduation, I would like to have a job in my career field. 

Otissia: What are three fun facts you would like for our readers to know about you?

Alexis: This is an awkward question. “Fun” fact? I don’t know I think I’m fun in general. Can i just say that three times?

Otissia: If you could change one thing about your college career what would it be? 

Alexis; My focus in the classroom my freshman and sophomore year. I was not here to get a degree those two years. I was celebrating like 100% of the time. My only interests were softball and being social. Don’t do that.

Otissia: How important is a college education to you?  

Alexis: Honestly, I think i learned more through college experience than I did in the classroom. So, going to college is important to me for that reason, but the education part, I can literally learn anything I want from Google. The degree makes your more diverse but it is for society’s purpose.

Otissia: What are you looking forward to for the upcoming year?

Alexis: I’m looking forward to graduation and moving up out of here in December! I love Savannah and all of the friends and experiences I was able to obtain here but I’m excited to close this chapter and open a new one in the next few months!

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.