This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Though college campuses are generally safe places, they’re not places we should be alone at nighttime. I personally have invested and discovered several different ways to make sure that I stay safe on my campus just in case.

Three Ways to Stay Safe on a College Campus: 

1. I have this pepper spray and have seen many people on campus carrying similar or the same one.

Luckily, I have never had to use it! But at least I know I have it just in case I were in a situation that I would need it.

2. This is a panic alarm!!

It’s another good thing to have if you go to college. I have one because you never know what situation you could be in! If someone was following me I could make the alarm sound. Hopefully, that would either scare the person off or get someone else’s attention.

3.  iPhone Emergency SOS

To use the Emergency SOS feature on the iPhone 8 and X you need to hold the side button and one of the volume buttons until the screen above appears. According to Apple, “Drag the Emergency SOS slider to call emergency services. If you continue to hold down the side button and Volume button, instead of dragging the slider, a countdown begins and an alert sounds. If you hold down the buttons until the countdown ends, your iPhone automatically calls emergency services.”

To use this feature on the iPhone 7 and older Apple says you need to “Rapidly press the side button five times. The Emergency SOS slider will appear… Drag the Emergency SOS slider to call emergency services.”

Photos: Header, Pepper spray, Fire alarm, IPhone 

Her Campus at SAU