The Ultimate St. Ambrose Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

College is all about experiencing new things, but you can’t check anything off of this bucket list if you spend all your time in your dorm room. While we all know that studying and attending classes are the focus of our academic experience, everyone should take the time to explore their new surroundings on a college campus. Soon enough you’ll be a graduate, so take advantage of your time here at SAU!

1. Get a hug from Cliff in the Cafeteria

If you’re having a bad day, or just want to feel what the epitome of happiness is, Cliff is your answer. The other mascot of Ambrose is always willing to talk to you and constantly has a smile on his face.

2. Explore Davenport

Stores, restaurants, museums, sports teams, festivals and more. Take advantage of student discounts, because many businesses will give you “freebies” if you flash your student ID. FYI: Right down the road from campus is the holy grail of dessert, Whitey’s Ice Cream. Their slogan “Best in the Midwest” was made for a reason.

3. Study Abroad

SAU offers semester-long and short-term study abroad programs. They also offer exchange programs, provider programs, and short-term faculty-led programs. Some semester programs are actually less expensive than spending a semester on campus. In essence, you can have the time of your life and save money, too!

4. Partake in Ambrose Activities

Whether it’s attending the homecoming football game or Midnight Breakfast, Ambrose has its traditions. Before you graduate, it is a necessity that you participate in at least one!

5. Pull an All-Nighter

In pursuit of earning that 4.0 everyone strives for, sometimes you just have to “risk it to get the biscuit.” My advice is to visit Starbuck’s in the Beehive to power through it. Make sure to also start a punch card to get a free drink!

6. Take a Picture, or Two, or Three…

Get a picture with the mascot, Barney the Bee. Stand in front of the blue, brick wall during “Last Blast” or “House Crawl.” Sit on top of the brick Ambrose sign with all your friends to celebrate another semester completed.

7. Get a Work-Study Job

The SAU Work Study Program is an excellent opportunity to gain work experience while earning a little extra money. There are many positions for temporary student employees. Some students even work for professors in the department they are majoring in.

8. Apply for a Leadership Position in an Extracurricular Activity

Make your voice be heard at club meetings! Apply for anything you may have your sights set on: President, Vice President, Secretary, etc. Anything you can add to a resume, the better. It’s also a great networking opportunity if you help make the extracurricular/club successful.

9. Participate in Ambrose Recreation

Even if you’re not on a team, Ambrose offers many classes and events to get you up and moving. Join the SAU Intramural Sports Leagues. Take free yoga and Zumba classes led by students right on campus. Participate in the Killer Bee 5K or Dash 4 Drex Memorial Run. Take advantage of the free campus gym membership.

10. Get to Know a Professor

Go to office hours or stay after class. Building a professional relationship is extremely beneficial, because you can learn things from someone in the field you’re hoping to go into. Not only will you gain knowledge, but you can practice networking and have a great reference for the future!

Bonus: Join SAU Her Campus/Write for a Campus Publication

If you love to write, apply for our Her Campus SAU chapter or The Buzz, our student-run newspaper.  Both help to build a portfolio of work you can show to future employers.  We are always welcoming new members with open arms!

All photographs can be credited to Google Images.