Time for a (Thanksgiving) Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

With Thanksgiving break just around the corner, students of St. Ambrose are eagerly preparing for a week of food, family, maybe some football and a little holiday shopping. But where does one start when it comes to enjoying Thanksgiving break to the fullest? Here are some fun tips to consider for the upcoming week:

1. Coming home!

Maybe you saw your family last week, maybe you haven’t seen them in a month. Either way, coming home for break is a good way to catch up and enjoy some quality time with the ones who matter the most. On top of seeing immediate family, extended family is also a part of Thanksgiving for many. So be sure to give your grandparents or aunts and uncles a hug.

2. “So How’s College?”

With visiting family comes loads of questions about school. As annoying as it might be to name off what you’ve been up to at school to all of your relatives, take it in stride. They’re interested in what you’ve been doing and it is sort of flattering. However, it’s important to have your filter on around the family. Chances are they want to hear about how your classes have been and not about the party you were at last weekend.

3. One word: Food.

Have no shame in indulging yourself on Thanksgiving. Sure, it is a holiday, but you have a lot to celebrate on top of that! The semester is coming to an end, winter break is coming up fast. You deserve this. The only real downside to Thanksgiving dinner is the possibility of a stomach ache afterward. If this is a concern, TUMS are a lifesaver!

4. Brace yourself – It’s Black Friday!

Braving the craziness and crowds of Black Friday can be a fun activity to partake in, and for many families is a fun tradition. It’s important to stay safe on Black Friday though, as many shoppers aren’t afraid to completely tackle each other in the hope of scoring an inexpensive new laptop. Sometimes the fun of Black Friday isn’t in taking advantage of the sales. But rather sitting back, and watching everyone around you go crazy.

5. Good ol’ Football.

Whether you love it or you hate it, football is a big part of Thanksgiving for some. The saying goes “if you can’t beat em’ join em’.” But if you really aren’t one for football, it’s always fun to listen to those watching react to the game.

No matter what you do, Bees, make sure to make this Thanksgiving break a good one!

I'm Haley. I enjoy cats and apple juice and listen to old music. I'm currently a freshman at St. Amrbose. 
Her Campus at SAU