Stressed Spelled Backwards is Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The poll this week asks your favorite way to destress.  It is inevitable that at some point we get bogged down with everything going on.  Group projects, job applications, extracurricular events; it all eats you alive–sometimes when you’re not expecting it. 

And that results in added stress nobody wants to experience.  My question to you is why are we so stressed all the time? College is said to be the best four, or in my case three, years of your life.  Is there anything we can do to not be stressed? 

In my opinion, stress is a mindset that can be controlled.  By taking control of your life, you can feel less pressured and a lot more content with the curveballs life throws your way.

Like going on a successful diet, overcoming stressful situations is a lifestyle change.  In case you’re wondering what you can do, I have some ideas that are proven to work.

Get more sleep– Like babies, we get cranky when we are sleep deprived and are less likely to be productive and think rationally.

Consume less caffeine– Everyone reacts differently to caffeine, but a general consensus is too much of this addicting substance running in the bloodstream can make a person feel anxious.

Exercise– I’m just going to quote Elle Woods here.  “Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy” – Legally Blonde

Clean up- A messy room and environment has been proven to reflect negative responses in the human brain.  So pick up your clothes, find a place to store your bathroom supplies and see for yourself that neat is sweet.

Use a calendar–  Write things down.  Color coordinate, then you can visually see where your life is headed.  It’s a brilliant way to be more structured.

Make time for YOU- Believe it or not, getting into a routine of doing something you enjoy can make a world of difference.  My “thing” is I make time to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls every day.

Be around people who make you feel good- If you are what you eat, then you pick up the moods of the people you are around most.  So choose to be with people who are positive, inspiring and not going to tear you down any more.

Make sure you come back and check out the staff’s favorite links of the week. I can guarantee you there will be something related to this topic in the mix!

A lover, dreamer and overachiver.