Spring Break in the QC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the financial ability to binge drink on the beaches of South Padre for the entirety of Spring Break boooooo! Some of us are even staying in the QC for the week because of work. Even though that totally sucks, don’t let it it put a damper on your SB! Here’s a list of 8 things you can do in the QC to make SB fun!!!

1)The Mississippi River Distilling Company

In LeClaire, stands amongst all the cute, touristy shops. Everyday from 12-4 the company offers free tours and free SAMPLES. (for those 21+ obviously). The Distillery has unique vodkas, gins, whiskeys and one of my personal favorite bourbons.

2)Niabi Zoo

Who doesn’t love Zoos? Seriously?  For only $8.25 you can spend the whole day walking around and for $4 extra at noon and 4 you can feed the giraffes!!!!

3) Figge Museum

Not only is it just downtown, but it’s completely FREE (with your student ID) Why not get lost amongst beautiful artwork for a day? If the free or culturally stimulating parts didn’t grab your attention, there’s also a cool Lego exhibit.

4) Maquoketa Caves

The caves are about 30 minutes north of Davenport, but 100% worth the trip. The hiking trails take you through a series of caves and some seriously beautiful landscape. A day spent in the caves is a day well spent.

5) Freight House Farmer’s Market

So maybe this isn’t the most ideal way to spend your break, but it’s something to do right? And it doesn’t only have to be limited to spring break, over 30 vendors will be at the Famer’s Market, every Saturday from 8-1.

6) The River Music Experience

If you didn’t know (which you definitely should) the RME is a non-profit performing arts center downtown. On March 11, Future Rock from Chicago will be blasting EDM throughout the Redstone Room (the main musical hall at RME). March 18th is springQUEENing, which if it wasn’t obvious is a night full of Queen tunes. A combination of artists from local QC bands come together every so often to put on these tribute show and I can promise that it isn’t something you want to miss.

(photo cred: MRE Photography)

7) ST. PATTY’S DAY!!!!!!!

Beer. Beer. Beer. Davenport will be celebrating the alcoholiday March 13-15. There’s a parade that crosses from Illinois over into Iowa and conveniently passes past SAU’s favorite trio of bars: Mac’s, Carriage and Kil’s!!!

DRINK ALL THE BEER

8) TREAT. YO. SELF.

Even if you don’t do any of these things, take some time to appreciate that you don’t have classes. Paint your toes and take a bath.  Go shopping. Check out the candy shops downtown. Go to Capri and get a massage.

Her Campus at SAU