NYC Ambrose Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

For the most part, I spent my winter break doing typical college-student-on-break things like binge-eating Christmas cookies, staying in my PJs until 3 o’clock in the afternoon, and avoiding everyone’s questions about my post-grad plans. I did spend the first week of break in New York City though, so, I shouldn’t be complaining.

I spent the week after finals running around the City That Never Sleeps with the most fantastic group of Bees. Our trip was organized by PR prof Eileen Eithreim and our group consisted of mostly Communications and Marketing students, though of course, other students were able to tag along as well. 

I could go on and on about all the things we did and saw and how great of an experience it was, but I know none of you really want to read that so I’ll spare and just focus on my highlights. 

Representing SAU on the Today Show 

I was on TV! Not only was I on the Today Show (thus making my national television debut), but the week was a celebrity-filled extravaganza. One afternoon I went to a rehearsal of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and spent a whole half hour of my life in Jimmy’s studio listening to him rehearse his monologue jokes. Complete dream come true. One evening we went to see the Broadway musical Honeymoon in Vegas starring at singing and tap-dancing Tony Danza (Costume designer for this show was an Ambrose alum – go Bees!). And lastly, Nick Jonas sat in first class of our flight home from NYC to Chicago. I swear I saw the back of his head! 

View from the Empire State Building at Night

The Empire State Building may be one of the most iconic sights in all of NYC after the Statue of Liberty and Times Square and there’s really no words for what you see when you make it all the way to the top. Walking out the doors onto the observation deck, the sight actually took my breath away. The wind was insane and I could actually feel the building swaying slightly under my feet but the view was incredible. My picture does it no justice whatsoever but that, in my opinion, is the best way to see the city. 

Meeting HerCampus SAU Founder Mary Madormo ’13

The fourth night of our trip, the Alumni office at Ambrose organized a networking event for us with Ambrose alums living the good life in NYC. It was really awesome getting to meet and connect with people who had gotten their start here in Davenport, IA, just like all of us, and who have gone on to do these great things in their careers. It was at this event I had the fortune of meeting Mary Madormo who founded our SAU HerCampus chapter when she was a student here! It was very exciting to speak with her not only about how our chapter has been doing, but also about the crazy cool things she’s been up to since leaving the Hive. Not even two years out of school and Mary is already working her way up at Nickelodean! She is not only an inspiration to us marketing and communications students who got to meet her, but proof that if we reach high enough, anything is possible. 

The Freedom Tower 

Lastly, if you are ever in NYC and have a few hours to spare, I would highly recommend visiting the 9/11 Memorial Museum. The museum was built down underneath the ground at the bases of the original Twin Towers. Being so young at the time of the attack, visiting the 9/11 Museum helped me understand my country and what it means to be an American on a much deeper level than I ever imagined possible. It was an incredibly emotional experience but incredibly important to me.

If you are an underclassman, do not shrug off this trip the next time it is offered. It was such an incredible experience and the cost is nothing compared to trying to do it alone. I made so many new friends and had so many experiences I wouldn’t have had otherwise.   

Her Campus at SAU