New Semester Means New Hours for SAU Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The new semester always brings new changes, and the biggest one for the spring semester can be found among the shelves of the library. Students will be staying later at the library  this semester as the hours have been changed on a trial basis.

In the past the SAU Library has been open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturdays. Student government, however has asked for a change of the hours that will be in the best interest of the students. They pointed out that not many students on a college campus are awake and willing to study by 8:00 in the morning or want to be done studying by 5:00 p.m. So in response, the Library will open at 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays and remain open until 8:00 p.m. allowing students to study later into the night and not create an inconvenience.

This has sparked a bit of a controversy with the student workers because the new hours mean they have to give up part of their Saturday night to work when they are usually done by 5:00 p.m.

“People see this as a positive thing, but they aren’t thinking about the student workers and reference librarians who have families and have to stay here until 8:00 p.m,” library student worker Mario Vega said.

Other workers are pleased or indifferent about the change of hours because it means they will not have to wake up and work as early.

“I like the new hours because I don’t have to get up as early, but I wouldn’t mind starting an hour earlier and being done by 7:00 p.m.” Alix Corwell, another student worker said.

The  library keeps track of how busy it is, so after this semester’s trial the director and student government will be able to assess the new hours and how successful the change was. If it is received well and students are studying until after 5:00 p.m. the hours will stay the same, but if it empties out and does not prove to be worth staying open later, the hours will go back to normal. So all students are encouraged to voice their opinions and utilize the hours that they prefer at the library to help those in charge make an accurate decision.  

Photo courtesy of St. Ambrose University Library Facebook page
Her Campus at SAU