This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

You would think being in charge of 28 freshman girls would be challenging, but Melanie Perez does it with ease and grace. You can catch her hanging out with her fellow Res Life family, making builtin boards in Bechtel, or helping out with LULAC. Her door is always open, so Bees, meet the coolest RA out there, Melanie Perez! 

Hometown: Chicago, IL      

Age: 19

Class: Sophomore

Major: International Business and Marketing

Siblings: 7

Where are you in the order? Oldest, I was always the guinea pig child but I love it.

Favorite TV show? Girl Meets World cliché I know haha, Teen Wolf, Liv & Maddy, The Shannara Chronicles, and Baby Daddy.

Favorite artist? Definitely Mumford and Sons. The Cave and Little Lion Man are my favorite.

Favorite food? Sweet potato fries, I could eat that 24/7. That and an avocado, you can never go wrong with an avocado.

How are you doing with being a vegetarian? So far so good. It’s been hard because it has only been 2 months, but I’m not necessarily craving meat anymore because of all the non-meat options.

Baseball game with friends

Hobbies: Reading, watching documentaries, I’ve recently taken up running and haven’t died yet which is good, and going through YouTube.

Favorite book/book series: Harry Potter is hands down my favorite one of all times. I just love fantasy novels.

Favorite movie? The Godfather. I fell in love with it in a high school class. I love the entire series, but the first one is my favorite.

Campus involvement: RA of course and Council Representative of LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens)

Why did you become an RA? Because of my RAs my freshman year, who are now really good friends of mine. They were so welcoming and helped me gain more confidence. I just really wanted to do that/be that for other people.

The “Norchtel” staff at Christmas

Why did you choose SAU? I don’t have a specific answer, all I knew was I was looking for a smaller private college. I just happened to stumble across Ambrose through my multiple brochures and decided to take a visit. I took my tour in the middle of a blizzard. Everything was white, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I felt like I was home.

Relationship status? Single as a Pringle, but I’m not really looking for anything right now. I am just enjoying life and focusing on school.

Any plans for spring break? My best friend and I are going to Florida! I’m super excited to lay on the beach, explore, and just have fun! I haven’t been on a spring break trip since my sophomore year of high school, so I can’t wait to go.

Favorite SAU memory so far? Last year’s Dance Marathon. It was crazy because we were on our feet for 12 hours straight. My friends had to hold me up at one point because I was so tired.

Dance Marathon 2015!

Advice to freshman? Everyone is so obsessed with going out and fitting in that no one is paying attention to the bigger picture. So get involved! The contacts that you will make will help you further on in life and not how many times you have been to Rookies.

*all photos provided by Melanie 

Hi, my name is MacKenzie, but all my friends call me Mac. I am a sophomore here at SAU where I play softball, President of BeeMedia, Events Editor for HerCampus SAU, a pro-Netflix watcher, and slowly trying to become Oliva Pope.  
Her Campus at SAU