Maggie Manning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

On Friday night, almost 100 juniors and seniors danced the night away at the Winter Formal, and it’s all thanks to one girl. After the big event got started, senior Maggie Manning was ready to have some fun! So what else is there to know about this event planner?

Graduation year: 2015

Year in school: Senior

Hometown: Flossmoor, IL

Major/minor: Nursing major, Biology minor

Interests/hobbies: 

I just got a new job as a server at Old Chicago! I love working out whether it’s running, lifting weights, or yoga. Does drinking wine and eating chocolate count as a hobby? hahah

Campus involvement: Member of Phi Eta Sigma National Honors Society, St. Ambrose Student Nurses Association, Habitat for Humanity, and Bee the Difference Day

What is your dream job and why?

“Fingers crossed by May I will have my dream job as a Registered Nurse in an ICU (Intensive Care Unit). I want to make an impact in people’s lives, and I know that this is the perfect path for me to accomplish just that.

Do you have any plans after graduation?

“I am applying to Nurse Residency Programs and RN positions all over the United States. Wherever I end up, I know that I will have an incredible job. Traveling abroad is definitely in my list of to dos as well. I am just trying to make the most of what I have right now until I enter the grown up world and need to work every day.

Who are your role model(s)?

“My parents of course, and several of my inspiring Nursing professors and clinical instructors.”

What made you want to put together a Winter Formal?

“I’ve seen tons of formal pictures from friends that attend large universities and colleges. Sororities and fraternities always have formals, semi-formals, and other themed events. I guess I just figured… why not make our own? We shouldn’t miss out just because we go to a Catholic institution that doesn’t have a greek life. I thought every girl on campus would love the excuse to get all dressed up and drag their boyfriends to a dance. Once I contacted the event planner at the Radisson Quad City Plaza, it all started to fall into place. The planning was extensive, and it was extremely hard to please everyone. I figured if I had enough positive feedback, maybe I could start a new tradition for years to come.

What was your favorite part of Friday night and how did it go?

“Being responsible for over one hundred people was a bit nerve-racking, but I could not have asked for a better outcome. Nick Stackhouse did an incredible job as the DJ, and everyone danced the night away. I have to say my favorite part was when I was able to take off my heels and relax knowing that it was over. I was so relieved that it went so well.”

Do you have any advice for underclassmen?

“Take advantage of what the Quad Cities have to offer. It wasn’t until I lived on campus over the summer that I realized how many restaurants and amazing places there were. Studying is important, but what are you going to remember in 20 years?

What is your favorite quote/motto to live by?

“Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not things to show.”

What are 3 things people don’t know about you?

“I love senior citizens

I’ve watch the movie Pride and Prejudice over 50 times

I have a freckle on my eye”

So if you had a great time at the formal on Friday night and want others to experience it in the future, be sure to thank this week’s celebrity!