Learn to Love Your Curls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Oh the luscious locks! The bouncy and…annoying tresses. Ladies, lets face it, our hair is extremely important to us. We care for our hair, but our hair seems… not to care for us. We give it all the TLC we can give, and how does it repay us? It frizzes, it poofs, it looks like a bird’s nest (or at least this is my sad reality!) it makes us go insane.

If you have curly hair, then I salute you because I know just what that is like in the morning. I have also begged and prayed to have sleek and shiny hair instead of my waves. Until now that is. Ladies, I encourage you to take a stand and embrace the natural! This is no easy task to tame, and even if you don’t have curly hair you can still benefit from this care.

First of all, beautiful hair is healthy hair. Let your inner beauty out! Drink lots of water and eats tons of fruits and veggies. The more loaded your diet is with vitamins and minerals, the more your hair will be grateful. The water not only eliminates toxins from your body, but it prevents your skin and hair from drying. The other option is to take hair supplements, but these can often be dangerous and expensive.

Instead, take the supplements that are naturally found in food. Fish oil is disgusting to even think about, but it does wonders for your hair. The healthy fats in the fish oil will nourish and moisturize your hair, and its heart-healthy too! It will also help restore the protein in your hair roots and nourish the scalp. Plus, it’s great for collagen, which equals flawless glowing skin. There are capsules available if you can’t even think about drinking a spoonful of fish oil (I don’t blame you! The things we do for beauty, right?).

Breakage is normal, but hair’s weakest state is when it’s wet. Use a wide tooth comb to prevent breakage while it’s wet. It may sound childish but also invest in hair detangler. The less you pull and tug the better.

A weekly hair mask is recommended for all hair types. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have dry hair. A hair mask will moisturize and make your hair super silky. There are store hair masks you can buy or you can make your own. Mash a banana and apply it all over for at least half an hour for dry hair, or olive oil for dry and damaged hair, then rinse it out. If you have curly hair, then you probably use lots of products on your hair (I know I’m guilty).

Less is more. Using too many hair products will dry out your hair and will only make what you are trying to fix worse. It will also make you more likely to breakout. It only takes a few simply steps to follow, and a healthier you will shine.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!