The Important Wardrobe Staples Every Collegiette Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

There is nothing more familiar to a college girl then waking up in a rush.

With only a few hours of sleep and an early morning class, the last thing running in already busy minds is looking cute. The usual ensemble of sweats and a T-shirt is the first go-to. But wait, you have an interview this afternoon and with classes back-to-back, you won’t have time to change. Or, you have to fit in your internship, meeting, or job to your schedule.

It only takes a few wardrobe staples to look great anytime. Invest in dark denim pants, blazers, and flats. These simple and affordable pieces will give you endless combinations to work with. The most appealing characteristic for these is their ability to dress up and down.

Dark denim jeans are a favorite for their ability to slim legs and hips. Dark solid colors give a slight slimming effect while keeping it realistic. These colors can also be matched with virtually any color. It would make the process in the morning much faster, eliminating the need to match and coordinate. They can be dressed up or sported casually by changing the accessories. A simple top and a cardigan are casual enough to be worn to class and to work. A blouse and a blazer can give the pants a more professional look. A night look only asks for swapping your flats for a pair of heels or booties.

Blazers are the eighth wonder in the world–but for your wardrobe. They can be worn with pants, skirts, dresses, shorts and everything in between. Blazers naturally have a very professional look. It won’t take much effort to be ready for an interview or internship. In any casual affair, they spice things up and keep you looking sharp!

Flats are just like the blazer. They can be worn with everything, but be careful. They can look more casual. Simply pay attention to the color, pattern, and details of the flats. A solid colored pair of flats is more favorable for a professional look.

This is all common sense, but in reality, who has the energy to care in the morning?  Fear not, for there is a solution, and it might already exist in your closet!

Sources:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=51452&vid=1&pid=134678&scid=134…
http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=36915&vid=1&pid=860824&sc…

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!